Sanity check for bed frame

jgentner

I am fairly new to woodworking so I would like to have a second opinion on this bed frame design. I'm looking for areas that need improvement or may have trouble over time due to stress/strain.

post-4826-0-45129600-1318899251_thumb.pn

I'm currently planning to attach the bed rails using McFeely's RCS-0534 bed rail connector set. Here's an exploded view of the footboard showing the joinery I plan to use. The headboard is nearly identical with the exception that the legs are longer and the bottom rail is wider (including the tenon).

post-4826-0-63189900-1318899233_thumb.pn

And here's the underside of the bed. The particular type of mattress I have needs good support, 2" slats with 2" spaces.

post-4826-0-16388800-1318899686_thumb.pn

Thanks!

Jess,

I like the design - It's a sharp piece!

It's tough to tell, because there are no dimensions, but one thing I might be concerned with, is the length of the tennons on the two outer headboard stiles. From the picture, they look pretty long, which means they would require a pretty deep mortise in the rails, positioned right behind the tennons which mate into the legs. The M&T joints at the legs would be the ones that are most stressed, and I would want to make sure there was a decent amount of material intact in the rail, behind those tennons.

Hope this helps,

Gregory