Drawer Spacing

ddean5

That's a pretty open-ended question for which there is probably no single good answer.

Can you be a little more specific about what you are trying to do? If so, then I think you will get more and better help.

-- Russ

Let say that I have an opening that is 36" x 48" and I want to place 4 drawers in this opening. How do I determine the size of the drawers and the spacing between drawers. Im new to woodworking and hope this make it clearer. I currently looking at a future project and have never had to figure out how to determine drawer size and spacing. I do know that I have to account for the drawer slides but beyond that I'm lost. Maybe you can recommend a book or video that will help me.

Let say that I have an opening that is 36" x 48" and I want to place 4 drawers in this opening. How do I determine the size of the drawers and the spacing between drawers. Im new to woodworking and hope this make it clearer. I currently looking at a future project and have never had to figure out how to determine drawer size and spacing. I do know that I have to account for the drawer slides but beyond that I'm lost. Maybe you can recommend a book or video that will help me.

George Walker had a very specific formula for figuring this out, but I don't have my WIA 2010 notes with me right now.

The basic idea is that you want each drawer to be the width of the drawer divider wider than the drawer above it. When I get home I'll get my notes out for the specifics.

Unless you're working from a purely academic, artistic angle, a good place to start is to ask what might go in the drawers... This works well before the number of drawers is determined.

After that, a determiniation can be made on sizes, as well as which method to size them for the most attractive look.