Tricky project, special wood

Godet

I have a friend who has asked me to work on a table. However, she wants me to a hunk of a tree that held her tree house as a kid; the tree was downed by Hurricane Andrew (1992). The piece looks to have been sliced by tree crew into a large disc (25" diameter, 4" thick). I know that this piece will not have a lot of structural strength--are there ways to strengthen the piece? Since it is right of the chain saw, I think I will have to some flattening, or at least some serious sanding.

I am thinking I will use a trestle style design, and extend tabletop supports beyond the edge of the top, essentially creating a cradle of sorts. I could then use dowels to connect the edge of the top into the cradle...

The good news is that the piece has been stable enough to last several moves and nearly 20 years...however, any ideas on how to avoid destroying someone's precious memento would be most appreciated.

It's going to expand and contract radially, so you need to plan for wood movement in all directions. I might hog out a section 3/4" deep and maybe 1" in from the edge. Build a table using 3/4" plywood as the top, and just rest the tree slice on top of the plywood. That way the slice is fully supported, and is free to move. Maybe one screw or a dowel in the center, to keep the slice from shifting and maybe breaking an edge.

For flattening, and for hogging out the recess for the plywood, I'd use a router on a sled, riding on rails. (Don't buy the "package" in the video - it's the idea that counts.)

Mounting on a ply topped table is a great way to go. You can attach using more than one screw if you allow for the screws to move through slots in the ply, you probably want the slots to be radiating out from the center of the growth rings to allow or the correct movement I believe.

There is a article in this months issue of Fine Woodworking on flattening with a router, neat looking sled and an excuse to buy the magazine. I'd take a look at the Maloof occasional table and see if the pedestal design fits your style. Very "root" like as it was intended. The pedestal is easy and strong, will allow mounting for expansion.

Don