Forrest Saw Blades

I currently use Freud blades for my tablesaw. I use a 40 tooth combination blade, and a 30 tooth rip. As everyone has read, Forrest blades seem to be the "cream of the crop". Are they really worth the money? I can't complain about the Freud blades, except I wish they would stay sharper longer. Is anyone currently using the Woodworker 2, 30 tooth ripping blade, and how do you like it? Just curious if these blades are worth the money.

Thanks

Scott

I have a few Freud blades and the WWII. I can't say that I stick to any particular one. It really depends on what I am cutting. Example, if I am ripping something that tends to burn a lot, I switch to my Freud rip blade. I use the WWII when I am working with "forgiving" wood, otherwise I go to a dedicated rip or crosscut blade.

Adam

Forrest makes some excellent blades, but they're not alone....Infinity makes some of the finest blades I've used. Ridge Carbide, Tenryu, and Freud also make some blades that will rival Forrest.

It's important to note that some brands offer more than one series of blade....Freud, Tenryu, CMT, etc., all make multiple lines of blades intended for different applications at different quality and price levels. Freud's Premier series is superior to their Diablo series. Tenryu's "Gold Medal" blades are superior to their "Rapid Cut" series, so you really can't meaningfully group all "Freud" or all "Tenryu" blades together. It's best to differentiate and compare apples to apples.

While the Infinity Super General is the cleanest cutting general purpose blade I've used to date, the Forrest 30T WWII offers some unique features that could be ideal for some situations, where blades like the Super General, Fusion, 40T WWII, 48T WWII, TS2000, or Tenryu Gold Medal fall a bit short....specifically, thicker ripping. 40T blades aren't typical optimized to cut 2"+ materials without some increased burning...especially those intended to leave a very clean edge. The 30T WWII offers superior efficiency in thick ripping, but retains sufficient cut quality that edges are still glue ready directly off the saw....it also gives suitable crosscuts in many situations (not great, but "good nuff" most of the time). If you need thick ripping capability that leaves a cleaner cut than a 24T ripper, and still offers some versatility for general purpose work, the WWII 30T is a good choice. If you prefer cleaner polished rips in moderate thicknesses, finer crosscuts, or finer ply cuts, the Super General would be my pick.

These are all great general purpose blades that do a lot of things well. They're similar but with subtle design differences, and they have strengths and weaknesses relative to each other. Which is best really depends on your circumstances and what results you're looking to get, and that varies for each of us.