Bottom Cuffs on Splayed legs

Roger T

Morning all,

I am working on a design of a display cabinet that requires splayed legs. The foot of the legs splays out at 45* to the surface of the aprons. I would like to put blackwood or ebony cuffs on these legs. Because the legs are splayed, how should the top of the cuff appear. The way I see it i have 2 options.

The top of the cuff parallel with the floor, which will give it a trapezoidal appearance or,

Square to the splay of the leg.

I just dont know which would be more preferred. Thanks for your help guys.

Roger

not yet Russ. Am in the heavy thinking stage right now. And will maybe get started on some stock prep.

Got it. I just thought it might be easier to see how various cuff arrangements would work if you could imagine them in the context of the overall design.

-- Russ

Hey Roger. Do you have a FineWoodworking.com membership? If not, its an odd coincidence that they have a new video series showing this exact situation. Garrett Hack is making a splayed leg table with cuffs. He chose to make them angled. The angled look is a little more "whimsical" to my eye. Not really sure I like it. But I think there's a lot of room for personal opinion on this one.

Roger, although the project has not seen the light of day. The Guild build Trestle Table I have sitting in my shop, has Cherry legs with floating tenon attached mahogany cuffs. I also did pin striping up the outside of the legs.