ear protection/music

duckkisser

I don't have active noise cancelling protection in the shop, but I've flown many hours with several well-known expensive examples. I think there is ANR, and there's ANR!

In my experience, ANR works best with lower and midrange frequency continuous sounds. Higher frequencies are easy to block with foam or insulated muff cups, so ANR really doesn't have to deal with them. While wearing better ANR sets, constant noises are reduced but still there, but sudden noises and voices can often be heard through them. Subjectively, I can tell you that after 7-8 continuous hours flying, I feel amazingly more fresh after wearing good ANR than expensive and well-regarded passive examples. Passive devices simply bring the overall level down, so they still work very well with hammers, drums, speech, etc... as well as constant noise, but often need to clamp the ears more tightly.

I have a set of $50 Audio Technica ANR earbuds that work great as a passenger in a jet or in a moderately loud server room. However, these units have nowhere near enough protection to work well for me around my table saw, planer, router table, mower, or shop vac.

My favorite shop protection, when I really need protection, are still $20 Peltor muffs or Blockade ear buds. I keep sets of muffs hanging around the shop for easy access. Be aware that Blockade devices need to be properly fitted and inserted, and cleaned regularily for best results. The light and comfy Peltors get used when I need to hear the cutting action, with routers, jointers, or thickness planers. The Blockades most often for HVLP spraying, mowing the lawn, sanding, and snow blowing.

Barry, now you have me thinking perhaps I could combine the music and ANR functions of an ANR ear bud with a set of good fitting proper ear muffs. That way I get the protection of the ear muffs plus music, plus some of the drone sounds of the shop greatly reduced. I am thinking along the lines of the shop vac system, air filtration and window fan to provide a negative pressure room (that keeps dust aand odors from getting into my house).

I think I will give it a try.

• Like 1