wood shrinkage on cuting board

duckkisser

i am going to make a cutting board out of maple and cherry. i know wood shrinkes the worst along the face grain so does this mean the width of the board changes or the thickness? if it is the width then i will cut these into strips and glue them face to face rather then edge to edge.

thinking of installing a small drawer/compartment in bottom of it to put knives, spices, oils ect.... cut meat, open drawer, spice and grill.

You will see the greatest shrinkage in the width with plain sawn wood (face grain). Quarter sawn wood shrinks the lease. By ripping and reglueing, you will have, in essence, quarter sawn wood with minimal shrinkage. HOWEVER, consider that the species of wood you are using; hardwoods generally shrink less than softwoods, we live in climate controlled homes now so wood movement is not the issue it was 100 years ago AND you should design your work so wood movement is not a big deal, ie, don't trap the top between joints. Usually you don't get into much trouble until you get a board wider than 8-10". Sounds like a neat project. Good luck.

Thanks,

Roger