Edging on a Jointer Problem

ddean5

I have flatten the face of the board, then when I joint the edge with the flat face against the fence, my edge has become trapezoid (front width smaller then the tail width). Is the problem with my technique or is there a jointer adjustment incorrect? Please Help!

Make sure your fence is square to the table along its full length, use a good quality square. And, verify that you are actually holding the work piece against the fence and not the edge along the table. And finally, which is more work, verify that your blades are parallel with the table bed along their full width of cut.

If your outfeed table is drooping you'll lift the trailing corner, taking more and more off the front. Your knives could be higher than the outfeed, too, but this is less likely.

Try repostioning your fence, sometimes it's only one corner that's droopy. If you can get a straight edge at a different point on the table you can buy yourself some time until you're able to do the adjustment.

If you are jointing the face and then one edge the board is likely to be trapezoidal until you make the width parallel over the length of the board by trimming the non-jointed edge on the table saw.

If it is the thickness that isn't consistent, you have to make sure you are thickness planing with the jointed face down. You can't expect anything to be parallel after jointing one face and one edge.

If you haven't watched Marc's "The Jointer's Jumping" video (I think number six), I highly recommend it.