attended The Wood Working & DIY Show

Charliedog

I have been reading and hearing all kinds of good things about WIA, and the wood working show in Las Vegas so I made it a point that the next trade show that was in driving distance from my house I was going. This weekend in Pomona, Ca I attended "The Wood Working and DIY Show" and what a dissapointment that was. I would have hope that since Wood magizinee was putting it on that they would have a reasonable amount of vendors at the event. My wife and I drove three hours with traffic to get there, and we wanted to see a little bit more that hand drills, routers, and router bits. I was expecting to see machinery manufactures (there was one with a table saw and a jointer), lumber suppiers (there was one), hand tools ( atleast lee valley was there), and maybe some of the big name mail order compaines ( only Peachtree ). Peachtree's booth was atleast a third of the whole show, if it wasn't for them the building would have been sparse. I have nothing against the vendors that were there, they all had nice displays and were helpful if you could get to them. I just have a problem with the lack of vendors, I really feel I could have saved my 35 dollars and drove to a WoodCraft or Rockler and had the same experience. I went through the whole show in 45mins with only a few boths that I had interest in, but I felt that I needed to go back through again just to try to make it worth while. What a waste of a Saturday!

think part of the problem most companies showcase there stuff online when there ready to put it out on the market. that with the recession alot of smaller companies have gone under, or are cuting cost which includes demonstrations of tools at these shows. thinking that within our life times the smaller ones will all but go away and maybe 2-3 big shows will stick around till society decides they would rather expierence the tools then view them online.