Krenov music stand for two: design, joinery, materials, etc.

Bob Dylan

I fell in love with this piece when I first saw it in one of my Krenov books. He was my inspiration, long ago, and got me started in woodworking as an enjoyable hobby. His 1979 book, The Impractical Cabinetmaker, has some photos of it, the one shown having been made of pearwood and other species.

Later this winter, I want to build a pair of these, the piece being a stand to hold music for two seated persons playing a duet, or having a lesson. Let's collaborate a little on its design, materials, etc. It is too late now for our two children, both of them musicians, to use this together, as they are grown, have families of their own, and live far apart. But it is not too late for me to give this to them for their children and them to enjoy.

There is a Sketchup model I did of it up at the 3D Warehouse, and just search using "Krenov music" and you'll find it. If we are going to talk about it here, you'll either want to have the book or the 3D model.

My first concern is the sides that tenon into the legs. I cannot find my book anymore, but I believe that James made them as "plywood," with some kind of core crossband, and resawn "veneers" of european pearwood as the facings. I was thinking of something similar, but using apple-ply or baltic birch ply as the core, and resawn cherry at about 1/4" thickness for the faces. I can get ply at 3/8" or whatever the closest metric thickness, and the resulting side parts would be 7/8" thick.

The easels are planned to be bridle-joined panels of cherry, with maple slats. If you look at my model, there is a frame-and-panel "floor" under the easel, and my thought was to do the frame in cherry, and the large center panel of VG doug fir, with the slots and width all so as to handle seasonal movement of the panel.

The model is not complete. The joinery needs to be designed and defined, the drawers, which slide through from either way, need to have all parts and joints modeled, and the integral drawer pulls need some thought in terms of how to execute.

Please jump in and help! Thanks.

OK, here is where I am on the design, after thinking through the problem of the too-wide side stretchers.

James Krenov did not do them as one-piece solid wood. He glued up some kind of core, and faced the core with species "veneer," which he made by resawing boards. I believe he used Swiss pearwood for the species.

I don't have the book I saw this in, the one in which he discusses it and shows a little about the veneer makeup. My recollection is that he ended up with maybe 1/8" thickness of "veneer" on that core. I'm not going to try that.

My approach will be to make the sides as a three-part subassembly, the top and bottom edges being 7/8" thick solid cherry, about 1.5" tall, a slight rebate milled into the edge that mates with the core, and that part being 18mm baltic birch, faced with cherry veneer both sides. All three parts will be end-tenoned to mate with the legs, and the center will be biscuited to the edges. See the pic, attached.

The drawer ends have top and bottom rails above and below the stacked drawers, with faces that are proud of the drawerfronts, so this side stretcher arrangement will sort of mimic that look.

post-5745-0-30858100-1320327858_thumb.pn

Don’t give up hope Bob on receiving replies. I for one really like Krenov’s music stand for two, and think it’s a worthwhile project. I see that your post has received about 170 “views” to date, just no replies yet. On WTO it may take awhile before you get a response. I do appreciate your working on the SketchUp file for the benefit of the rest of us. It’s looking good. Much thanks.

Part of the issue is that, while I love the concept, I've never seen the original. So i hesitate to offer advice on something I know nothing about. (I know, everybody's bull... er... yeah.... meters just pegged off the chart.... but it's true.)

You mentioned your kids played instruments at home, so you already know how the music stands currently look. I'd say go for it, and make all the prototypes you want. (Foam board. Lots of foam board.)

But if you are going to do a veneer of 1/4 cherry, why bother with expensive ply? Or am I reading the locations of the cherry wrong?