router bits

robercik72

Hi,

I'm new at this so forgive me if I have posted this problem in the wrong thread. I'm working on Mark's cutting board

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/butcher-block-cutting-board/

and he used there 2 round-over routing bits. I went to www.rockler.com website and they have so many of them that I don't know which ones I should buy for this project. I liked the ones Mark has used, but I'm not sure which ones are those.

I have a plunge router that can work with 1/2" and 1/4" bits, but that's where my knowledge ends. Can someone help me out with this, please?

Here's where the routing bits are listed:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2127&filter=router%20bit

All I need is the correct items number for the 2 bits that Mark used.

Thank you.

When your router lists that it accepts 1/2" and 1/4" bits, it's talking about the shank diameter. You should have two collets for your router, one in each size. The 1/2" shank is less liable to flex, and should be chosen whenever possible.

Marc uses a 1/4" roundover on the top, and a 1/8" on the bottom. Here the numbers designate the radius left by the cutter.

From your link, the numbers you need are 22238 and 26078.

I disagree with the suggestion of 1/2" shank bits. True, 1/2" shanks are stiffer and should be used on heavier bits, but small roundover bits don't meet enough resistance to flex under normal useage.

The advantage of 1/4" shank bits is that they fit in the smaller routers (ie Bosch Colt) and laminate trimmers. These machines don't support 1/2" shanks. I find that I rarely use a full size router for doing small roundovers and prefer the ability to control the smaller machines with one hand. In fact, I keep one trimmer permanently setup with a 3/16" roundover bit.

Larger roundover bits require more power and should only be used in a full size router. I agree that 1/2" shanks would be appropriate for roundover bits over 3/8" radius.

Mike