pneumatic Tools

abowers

I was considering getting a compressor to run pneumatic tools. I never owned or used pneumatic tools before and wondered how many people use them.

Do you prefer electric over pneumatic and why?

What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Is it cost effective?

What type of compressor do you need? I know it depends on the tool, just the most versatile (maybe from nailing to sanding to spraying)

Just considering this option, I don't have my heart set on it.

Aaron

I find a compressor very useful. Not for all types of tools that you could use it for, as an example I prefer a random orbit sander (electric) over a pneumatic sander. But specific tools I use pneumatics for are pin/brad nailers, staples, HVLP (very limited though, might be better with a turbine system if you are going to do it more than once or twice a year). You can buy an inexpensive compressor fro not too much, and you can use it often for home improvement projects on a more regular basis too!

You need to find out how much volume of air you will be using. A compressor that has too small of a tank and low "CFM" is going to be overworked if you run die grinders, drills or sanders for long periods of time. Size and noise is a factor too, outdoor closet or small "tool shed" to protect it from elements with manifold and pressure regulator in the shop really makes for a more pleasant experience.

For occasional use, a small "hot dog" style works great for brad, finish and pin nailers and doesn't take up much room and is good for airing up tires and other home stuff. Hope this helps.

Spraying takes large volumes of air, so a large tank and quick recovery is helpful. As far as cost, quieter high CFM oiless twin piston is the high end and if used every day as a business tool, is worth the money. Box store deals on smaller ones are perfectly fine for occasional nailing etc. I have a Rol air 4 gal job site compressor I bought maybe 15 years ago when i was a framer and still runs just fine.