help with leg vise

gardnesd

Hey,

It's the one year anniversary of a Roubo Bench build. Youngest of 4 is now 5 months old and it's cooling off in the garage. I've had my screw from lake erie toolworks for about a year also. Over the past couple of weeks i've managed tremendous progress on this install. On a side note the bench itself has been together for a while sans vise. Well, I've gotten the parallel guide mortised and glued. I got my holes drilled. Brass garter, check. Put it on the bench tonight and everything works fine except it racks terribly upon opening. No racking with closing. My question is: Is this to be expected for those of you that have this type of vise? I can live with it if it's ok. If it is going to be detrimental to the screw or the overall mechanism I need to know. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Again main problem here is racking upon opening. All else is good.

Which way is it racking? My leg vise sometimes sticks when opening, so that the top comes out while the bottom stays in place. I just put a little wax on the parallel guide if that happens, or just tug on the bottom.

My leg vise is stable in the left to right direction.

Maybe you can take a picture of how your leg vise looks when racking while opening?