3M respirator question

rjherald

I bought the 3M respirator you recommend and have a question about it. I bought the organic filter cartridges which came with 4 white filters. i also bought the clear covers for the cartridges that allow the pink P100 filters which i also bought. my question is do i use the white filters as well as the pink ones? seems that if i try to install the white filters, the clear cartridge covers do not fit. by the way, i am getting into the whole Vader look....... thanks

bob herald

Do you mean the white organic filters you put the clear covers on? They're a little stiff but should click shut, unless I'm misreading the question. Use both when spraying or anything with solvents that can cause a problem, but just use the pink ones for general woodshop stuff (sanding etc.). At least that's how I do it, I have the same setup and the pink only when sanding is honestly pretty comfortable which means I reach for it a lot more than I did my old respirator.

I think I may have answered your question already somewhere else Bob but just in case, here it is again. The pink filters are intended to replace the white inserts when using them in conjunction with the organic filters (via the special adapter). Over the last few years though, I have switched to a system more like what KevinB described. I use the pink filters alone when doing woodwork and then I use the organic cartridges with the white inserts when finishing. So I don't really even use the adapters much anymore.