Table Saw Fence Face?

Jwest

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum, and young in the woodworking arena as well. I've been doing small projects and things for awhile but didn't realize how little I knew until finding Marc's blog. Thanks for the blog by the way; really have learned a lot.

My question is probably very basic. I notice that most pictures of people using their table saw shows a fence with either wood or more commonly UHMW sheets attached to the face. I've tried to search the blog to find out if there was a video on what these are and how to attach them, but haven't yet found it. What is their purpose? And what is the procedure for installing these things? Am I using the correct terminology on their names, fence faces? I recently watched the table saw setup video, so I'd like to go through a complete table saw tune up and add these if needed. Thanks for the help.

Jack

There are a variety of materials used for faces on fences - UHMW, wood, MDF laminated with formica. These surfaces are usually attached to the rectangular fence body with screws accessed from the bottom ot the body. The face itself can either have 'T' slots for the screwheads or can use hanger bolts (wood thread on one end and machine thread on the other).

Aluminum extrusions are also used on some fences such as the Delta Unifence.

You could replace the existing material with an alternate by recreating the mounting method already used. Alternatively, you could purchase a self adhesive strip of UHMW that you could paste onto the existing fence face. Double sided tape would also be a method of attaching a new face.

The choice of material is a personal matter. Any of the materials get pretty low in friction with the help of a bit of wax.

I currently have the Ridgid cast iron table saw, but I've never attached anything to the fence. I thought it was supposed to be fine as is. So, the main purpose is low friction? Is it that much lower in friction than the extruded aluminum fence my table saw came with? And either double sided tape or screws from the back side of the UHMWs what I'm hearing for best method of attachment. I appreciate the help.

Jack