Which Domino biscuit size?

davidmk

I was wondering if you have any opinion on which of the domino biscuits to use and specifically the 8mm bit will suit most of my needs.

This would then help me to decide which domino machine to buy.

My main projects would be for making box like frames for things like book cases or cabinets to hold computer equipment such as PCs or printers.

By frames I mean four uprights in each corner with horizontals top and bottom and maybe halfway up for extra strength.

Most of the wood used would be around the following dimensions 1 * 2, 2 * 2 (inches) or (45mm 8 20mm) wood and sheets of ply 18mm, 22 mm

As a novice to this kind of tool and wood working, I am not sure what thickness of domino to use for these kinds of jobs.

I understand that when a hole is made for the biscuit is made it could be too large so the surrounding wood is too weak and does not have much surface area for glue.

On the other hand the biscuit hole could be very small (for example 4mm) so the surrounding area is larger and hence more glueable surface however the thinner biscuit is weaker.

Would an 8mm bit be too large for the wood and ply mentioned above?

My current router is about 2Kw and I am very pleased with it as it is powerful and has a range of collets.

My first router had less power and could not cope with larger bits. With the benefit of hind sight I would have chosen the larger more powerful router.

The Domino DF500Q (420 W) can be used with the following dominos 4,5,6,8,10. The larger more powerful DOMINO XL DF 700 Jointer (720W) machine uses 8, 10, 12 and 14

A couple of people have suggested the DF500Q but my sense is that if the 8mm bit will suit 90% of my projects it would make sense to get a more powerful machine that is going to make a hole with less effort.

If it is better to use biscuits of size 5 or 6 for these kinds of projects I can understand why some have suggested buying the DF500Q.

Any advice is really appreciated

Think of a domino as a loose mortise and tenon joint with the added ability of replacing a standard biscuit joiner. The small unit will come with a 5mm bit which is perfect for edge gluing like you would a biscuit joiner. The smaller machine is more versatile for the average user the bigger one would be great for the guy that made lots of heavier furniture. The smaller has plenty of power for the 8mm cutter which is usually plenty for 4/4 stock. The one thing I dislike about the new design is they change the metal plunger pins to these elcheapo plastic blocks, I had the older model and it was nicer. IMO this was to make you have to buy another accessory. I told the Festool rep this at a Woocraft open house and he threw in the wings for free.

Don

Festool’s website had a pdf download section for the domino. I seem to remember a ‘domino size guide’ document – not sure if it was imbedded in something else, but it covered which size to use in what situation. I printed it out, laminated it and put it in the tool case.