Mothering a countertop

umbach

• 4 weeks later...

The higher the rpm of the saw and the more teeth on the blade, the smoother the cut. I have been extremely happy with my Makita sidewinder. It's the only saw I've found that does not dump sawdust on my line. My Milwaukee worm drive now only comes out for rough work.

I recommend that you build a sled for your saw which you can clamp down along your cut line. The sled is dead simple. A length of ply, maybe 1/2" thick x 12" wide x yay long. Glue to one edge another yay long length of ply which only needs to be as thick as the base of your saw and maybe 4"- 6" wide(should clear the motor of your saw plus enough to include a clamp). This is the fence. Run you saw down it with the widest side of the base against the fence, cutting off whatever projects past your blade. This sled will limit tear-out on your keeper side of your stock and you can clamp it right onto your cut line.

If your counter has a fixed backsplash, you'll have to cut from the back which is a bit of a hassel.

One trick that works well is to lay out the joint on doorskin, going so far as to cut two pieces to fit and then using them as templates to mark your counter stock.

One benefit of always working on boats is that you know that nothing is straight or square, so you get into the habit of patterning for almost everything.