Seeking opinions on an end table

Dan S

Ok all, so its time to bite the bullet, and build some "real" projects. I have been working on this end table design for a couple weeks now, and it's time to get some opinions.

These night stands are my inspiration, I love how the legs are at 45 degrees to the case.

http://www.custommade.com/walnut-night-stands/by/nealbarrettwoodworking

Right now I'm thinking Bubinga or Jatoba for the top, legs, and aprons, and then Peruvian Walnut for the side slats, and the bottom shelf.

what do people think?

Model_002.skp

post-818-0-83804600-1320988237_thumb.jpg

I'll have to think about this, because the panel is 17 1/4" wide and a panel that wide can move a lot I did some quick numbers, and looks like worse case i would need to be able to handle 1/2" of movement.

Bubinga 5%

Flat: 1/4"

Rift: 7/32"

qurt: 3/16"

Jatoba 5%

Flat: 1/4"

Rift: 7/32"

qurt: 1/8"

Peruvian Walnut 5%

Flat: 5/32"

Rift: 1/8"

qurt: 3/32"

Bubinga 10%

Flat: 1/2"

Rift: 7/16"

qurt: 3/8"

Jatoba 10%

Flat: 1/2"

Rift: 13/32"

qurt: 9/32"

Peruvian Walnut 10%

Flat: 11/32"

Rift: 9/32"

qurt: 3/16"

Ok all, so its time to bite the bullet, and build some "real" projects. I have been working on this end table design for a couple weeks now, and it's time to get some opinions.

It looks a little bottom heavy right now. Either make the top thicker, the bottom stretcher narrower, or both.

Right now I'm thinking Bubinga or Jatoba for the top, legs, and aprons, and then Peruvian Walnut for the side slats, and the bottom shelf.

Eventually, sure. There's a whole world full of exotics that would look great in this table. But the design is such that I'd strongly consider making a prototype out of something cheap and discardable: Poplar jumps immediately to mind. I count at least three curves that would need templates made and proven before I'd feel happy breaking out the 'spensive stuff.

Darnell,

I had the same thought, but I'm kind of thinking since these aprons are 4-1/2" tall, the height, will make up for the shorter length.

I'm working on a Sketchup model right now with all the joinery in it, and will see what it looks like without the slats. It would definitely mean I wouldn't have to make nearly as many mortises.

So i have been playing around with this most of the day, what do you guys thing?

I made the tenons longer, the legs wider, and I think the dado is the better way to go, as it will fully hide my attempt to deal with the wood movement.

Two concerns/questions I have, are will the top of the apron role, and will the mortise be strong enough, Opinions?

post-818-0-51473100-1321224890_thumb.jpg

play.skp

I don't understand this. You must have a typo???

With regards to aprons I have heard it called role, but essentially sine the top 1/3 of the apron doesn't have a tenon, it can twist, or cup, or role relative to the rest of the apron. A full height tenon, or a haunched tenon acts like a breadboard end preventing this.

Interesting. I had never heard that use of the word "role" before.

I suppose the real answer to your first question is, "the wood is going to do what the wood is going to do." And never having dealt with bubinga or jatoba, I don't have a clue how they actually behave. Having said that, my gut says don't worry about it as long as your stock is reasonably dry and stable when you start. Just for reference, the table that I referenced above is constructed in much the same way, and the tenons on it are less than half the width of the aprons. So I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Same with your mortises. I think they're fine.

-- Russ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dan

Sorry for the late reply. I like that design.

It looks clean and more elegant than the previous designs.

The slats on the bottom are gone and so the spindles.

And the joinery would not be a problem.

I did look in the inside of the drawer. You are using dovetails.

But what about a floating top? It would look very nice IMO.

And the corners should be rounded. It will complement the whole table.

Did you already starting with this project?

If so, keep us posted.

Johan