Workbench Vises (recommendations for the new guy)

I am about to build my first workbench and need to choose the right vises. Talk about decisions! I am a mix of hand and power and really have no idea what direction I will grow in (more hand or power tools) What I do know is that I will build the split top Roubo.

I currently am working on a violin, a few picture frames, toys for my kid, and will soon start a couple of fine furnature projects (table, wall cabinet, a nice entryway bench and probably a bed and end tables).

That should give you an idea about my needs as a woodworker (because I am so new I certainly do not know them yet).

ANY and ALL advise on which vises to choose for my workbench would be most welcomed.

Stephen.

Hi Stephen,

Your budget for such a thing may have an effect on your decision but I have always preferred a standard cast iron front vice with a lever activated quick release in the largest size I can find . Mine is a Record 10", unfortunately out of production. I like the depth of jaw they offer and the rigidity. I also like the ease of installation with these and the ability to easily transport it to new benches as your preferences or skills increase. Mine is on it's third bench and headed for it's fourth unless I find a quality substitute. Now if I had a christmas list to fill, an Emmert pattern makers vice would be on it. Veritas made a copy for years but seem to have discontinued it.

If you choose the more traditional front vice, again I would look into the Veritas model. They have proven to have well conceived and well manufactured products and an excellent satisfaction guarantee from Lee Valley.

My second choice would be Jorgenson products as they are consistently good quality. That said, I would try to find a retailer who carries a few different brands and go play with them.

I have never liked leg vices. I have always found them awkward to use. They made good sense back when you had to carve your own wooden screw and some folks swear by them but they are not for me.

For doing your smaller violin work, consider getting a guitar makers vice from Stewmac or make something similar to use clamped to the bench top.

I should mention that I have never gotten around to putting a tail vice on my bench even though I have had the hardware for twenty years now, and I constantly wish I had. Bench #4 will have one for sure and I may just sell off my hardware and buy the Veritas one. I prefer the standard sliding block type. I've tried the twin screw type and I don't like them much. They work fine but not all that applicable to my needs.

If you are going to build a Roubo, then include a hold down in your list of purchases. You'll make good use of it. I would also add a panel jack to your bench for use in your cabinet work.

Hi Stephen,

Your budget for such a thing may have an effect on your decision but I have always preferred a standard cast iron front vice with a lever activated quick release in the largest size I can find . Mine is a Record 10", unfortunately out of production. I like the depth of jaw they offer and the rigidity. I also like the ease of installation with these and the ability to easily transport it to new benches as your preferences or skills increase. Mine is on it's third bench and headed for it's fourth unless I find a quality substitute. Now if I had a christmas list to fill, an Emmert pattern makers vice would be on it. Veritas made a copy for years but seem to have discontinued it.

If you choose the more traditional front vice, again I would look into the Veritas model. They have proven to have well conceived and well manufactured products and an excellent satisfaction guarantee from Lee Valley.

My second choice would be Jorgenson products as they are consistently good quality. That said, I would try to find a retailer who carries a few different brands and go play with them.

I have never liked leg vices. I have always found them awkward to use. They made good sense back when you had to carve your own wooden screw and some folks swear by them but they are not for me.

For doing your smaller violin work, consider getting a guitar makers vice from Stewmac or make something similar to use clamped to the bench top.

I should mention that I have never gotten around to putting a tail vice on my bench even though I have had the hardware for twenty years now, and I constantly wish I had. Bench #4 will have one for sure and I may just sell off my hardware and buy the Veritas one. I prefer the standard sliding block type. I've tried the twin screw type and I don't like them much. They work fine but not all that applicable to my needs.

If you are going to build a Roubo, then include a hold down in your list of purchases. You'll make good use of it. I would also add a panel jack to your bench for use in your cabinet work.

Thanks for the tips Mark. Certainly a lot to think about and getting it right the frist time probably will not happen unless I luck out. I really liked the guitar vise, going to have to have a look at that and all the comments on what works. Thanks!

Stephen.

Where do you source your woods here in BC?

Can you get your hands on any of these books it may really help your decision. Chris Schwarz "Workbenches: From Design & Theory to Construction & Use – Deluxe Edition", Scott Landis "The Workbench Book, "The Workbench" by Lon Schleining. I know you already have your mind set on a Roubo, as do I, but the more ideas you see the easier your decision may be. Rob Cosman also has a great video on his site where he walks you through his bench and points out the things he loves as well as the things he hates about it. He has a special offer where you can see a bunch of his videos for free as an early Christmas present-I will warn you though as you may want to join his site after watching some of his videos!! I had been thinking about joining but wasn't sure, then I watched the videos! I have two quick release vices on my current bench and I am very content but when I build a new vice I am not sure what I will do. Best of luck and keep us posted as what you decide.

Nate

• Like 1