Extending the face of a vise so I can use it to hold longer pieces.

ryandetzel

If those fifty folks are like me, the honest answer to your question would be, "I don't know." No point in having fifty replies saying that. Even worse would be fifty misinformed opinions.

So I think you've got the right idea. Try it, see what you think, and report back here to let everyone know what happened!

-- Russ

My apologies, I viewed earlier but had to run to a meeting. Are you planning to replace the entire jaw piece? If so, you shouldn't have any trouble at all. Typically these vices are sold without the jaw and you add one of the size you choose. So, putting a bigger jaw on the vise won't be an issue. If you're going to try to extend the jaw that's already on it I think that will cause problems. Not even sure how you'd attach it but the joint would definitly be a weak spot.

The farther you clamp from the guide rods the more racking will be an issue. Racking is when the front chop angles due to uneven resistance to clamping pressure. When this happens you're only clamping the inside edge of the stock, at less than full pressure. Racking is prevented by clamping over top of the screw, between the rods, or by using spacers the same size as your stock on the opposite side of the screw. Technically if you had a perfectly ridgid front chop and used accurately sized spacers you could have jaws the length of your benchtop.

The farther you clamp from the guide rods the more racking will be an issue. Racking is when the front chop angles due to uneven resistance to clamping pressure. When this happens you're only clamping the inside edge of the stock, at less than full pressure. Racking is prevented by clamping over top of the screw, between the rods, or by using spacers the same size as your stock on the opposite side of the screw. Technically if you had a perfectly ridgid front chop and used accurately sized spacers you could have jaws the length of your benchtop.

Can you explain these spacers please?