Bench top design

tim0625

I'm working on a design to build a bench and gathering info from benches that I see on size, joinery, clamps and types of woods.

The Woods

In SC, SYP is plentiful. I'm thinking about building the bench frame out of that. For the top, use SYP to give the thickness and then skin it with (and for a cheaper approach) laminated 1x3s laid flat across the top. Use a variety of woods for character - syp, walnut, and throw in a strip of purple heart and zebra wood. I'm thinking of durability and also a top that has variety and character. Thoughts? Think of how the different woods will interact and also aesthetics.

Joining the boards for the top

Under the top, will be laminated SYP, 2x3s or 2x4s for thickness and to provide support for the top and for dogs. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but how do you laminate the 1x3s and ensure they're flat? If I had a flat level workbench to glue them up on?........would a biscuit jointer help? Laminate 2 boards at the time? (I guess you've figured out I do not have a 20" planer by now and for all you guys who love leveling with hand planes....no...please don't go there. With me, that's a mess waiting to happen)

Thanks for the input

Tim

I wouldn't bother "skinning" the top with anything, all that laminating sounds like a hassle. Just stick to SYP.

In my opinion all those woods together will look terrrible. The effect of too many contrasting species is garish. Just stick to SYP.

Biscuit joiners are of a little help when laminating. They'll hold you in the ballpark, but not right on. Yes, glueing up one pair at a time will help you maintain flatness. For flattening you don't have many options. Hand plane, router jig, wide planer, wide belt sander.

TimWood, I think that mixing woods is a personal choice. Fortunately, there are no Woodworking Police so if you like that look, you're free to do anything you want. Keep in mind that if the top of your bench has different woods of different hardness, then it will not wear all over at the same rate. I'm going to build a bench with the Guild here, and I'm using different woods because A) I have several different woods at home and it saves me the expense of buying more and I like the mixed/patchwork look. But I'm going to stick with one wood only for the top. The way I look at it, it's my bench, and I have to look at it every day. I'm the only one who has to like it--I don't care what anyone else thinks of my aesthetic choice.