Polygon Setup & Construction

MikeShaul

Hey, looking for some thoughts on getting a "perfect" Polygon frame. I've done a few polygon frames, most recently trim work on a little octagon window and no matter how many times I check my angles and lengths it is never perfect..

I'm thinking about a table and I don't want to have the same issues. Help!

after watching some videos on shoot panes i am sold that they are the only way to get really clean miters lol. Now i don't own one yet and would need to make the shoots for the miters but i think thats how i would do it. I would get it close with the miter saw and they go from there with the plane. Then again you could draw up or have someone draw you up a to scale drawing of your cuts and you could just paste them on the board and set your saw to that :)

There's a table saw technique where you set up a sled with angled fences and stops. Do test cuts and adjust until it comes out right, and then you can crank out perfect pieces with little effort. Or so I'm told. Here's a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXLeMVAkSIYshowing how to do one for 45 degree miters.

• 4 weeks later...

I've pretty much given up on trying to get dead accurate cuts on a miter saw (maybe the Festool is better than my dewalt) and do everything on my table saw now.. I use the osborne miter gauge OR I just picked up a new digital angle meter (Wixey 365) and tilt the blade. Have been really happy with both of methods.

I did a test a week or so ago and made a tube that consisted of 15 slats. Joints could not have come out any better (can't tell if they're glue seams or the grain lines :). Here's a link to another thread I started yesterday.

The concept should be applicable to what you're trying to do..

~Andy