Rough Cut frustration

woodhack

Getting internet content onto the big screen is still quite a challenge. Some units like Tivo, Roku, and AppleTV can get the show and some local public access TV stations will air our content. But due to the odd lengths and video formatting issues, it isn't likely that we'll see actual internet content being pulled into things like cable or satellite any time soon. But my hope is that companies like DirecTV and Dish will begin allowing us to pull in RSS feeds using their set top boxes. That would immediately solve the problem by allowing us to subscribe to any podcast we want. Someday maybe. But at least with the internet becoming nearly ubiquitous, your favorite podcasts are really never more than a click away.

Let me start by saying that I have a lot of respect for Tommy and he has been nothing but supportive of me. However I do take exception with his statement from WIA11 that Internet woodworking is dead.

He really said that? Where/when did he say this at WIA11? That seems quite ironic since Tommy got his start on the internet.

Great discussion. We saw season 1 when we lived in Minnesota, but don't have it here in Colorado, so I haven't seen any of the season 2 offerings. I kind of liked the fact that Tommy has his own mannerisms and figured that over time those would be polished. Some of the seaon 1 stuff felt a little rushed, but I also thought of it as a "well this is the first run through" kind of thing...again, more polish over time. Bummer that it doesn't sound like the editing got much better.

It's on Saturdays 12:00 pm on channel 12-2.

He really said that? Where/when did he say this at WIA11? That seems quite ironic since Tommy got his start on the internet.

The comment was made at lunch on Friday. Tom Iovino and myself were at Subway and Tommy and some guys from Woodcraft sat at the table next to ours.

We were making small talk and joking around about the conference, etc. At one point the conversation turned to online shows vs broadcast, he asked how my show was going and if I knew about Marc's numbers too.

It's not unusual to talk numbers and about audience participation when podcasters get together so I didn't think anything about it. But at some point in the conversation Tommy did make the statement that the era of internet woodworking is dead.

He was basing it on his tv numbers vs online numbers, etc. And I really didn't feel like pushing the point further that they're two very different creatures even though there is crossover audience members.

Tommy is an amazing woodworker and I think he's inspired and taught A LOT of woodworkers tricks and techniques they never knew existed or thought they could do. I have respect for him as a content producer, woodworker, etc.

But regarding whether online woodworking is dead I completely disagree.

It's not unusual to talk numbers and about audience participation when podcasters get together so I didn't think anything about it. But at some point in the conversation Tommy did make the statement that the era of internet woodworking is dead.

Boy, there are so many ways to look at this. If sheer numbers is the measurement we should be going by, then we should all just give up and furnish our homes with Ikea furniture since Ikea sells way more chests, tables, chairs, etc. than fine furniture makers do.

But if we are looking at actual information delivered, I'd go with the internet at this point in time. I feel like that Matt, Shannon, and Marc's websites have enough information that I think I have a fighting chance at making any one of their projects. A project shown on Rough Cut, on the other hand, seems to be lacking in that regard.

As a matter of fact, I would say that from this standpoint Tommy Mac's old internet woodworking podcast beats Tommy Mac's TV show. Ironic, no?

Having said that, I do appreciate that Rough Cut is on TV. Like Matt says, they are just very different creatures, and so think that one is going to kill off the other is a pretty short sighted view of things.

Well, the fact that they are asking people about my numbers in the first place should speak volumes.

I don't make a habit of publicly disclosing my numbers, but I certainly have nothing to hide. So far in 2011 the TWW site has had 6.6 Million page views and our videos have had 3.7 million downloads (the ones we can actually track). This forum (which is quite small by woodworking forum standards) has had 2.4 million page views in 2011.

My sites make up just one tiny slice of the entire internet woodworking pie, with even bigger portions going to sites like PopularWoodworking.com and FineWoodworking.com, not to mention all of my fellow bloggers and podcasters. Yup, we are on our last leg! HELP! :)

Wow, Marc!! That's amazing. I remember when those that were really interactive during your first year could just sit and BS on Ustream chat. Most Wednesday nights Nicole would regale us with her music library and we'd talk about where all this might go. I'm really proud of you and Nicole for being pioneer entrepreneurs. I think, besides Matty V., there were others doing it, but you two showed "how it should be done". Great business savvy and, as is usually the case with success, timing! And, of course, major props to the Woodworking Podfather himself, Matt Vanderlist!!!

Thanks very much Vic! Yeah I remember those days. Actually, the closest we get to that is the holiday party each year. We play music and Nicole gets to hang out with us. And now little Mateo joins in the fun. Good times eh? You are totally right about Matt, he is indeed the podfather. I remember when I first caught Matt's podcast and contacted him with kudos. He wasn't doing much in the way of video at the time so I saw my opportunity to try something. I remember being quite disappointed that there were no woodworking video podcasts in iTunes! Things are quite different now!

Coincidentally when I started podcasting it was a few months later when the first video iPods were being introduced. That's when some upstart podcaster dropped me a line to say hi and asked if we could be friends LOL!!!

My total numbers for the past 6 years are about 1/2 of Marc's one year alone, but I'm not upset by it like a more insecure and jealous content provider might be...I don't have a dart board with his picture on my wall, or leave anonymous mean comments on his site (that would make me sound mean spirited and petty LOL).

But seriously though, thanks guys for all the nice comments. Even though my shows are more along the line of sub-par public access TV quality, I appreciate people stopping by.

WIth that said, I need to go troll some old Wood Whisperer episodes to see where I can get some gabs in before my new email address is discovered.

The comment was made at lunch on Friday. Tom Iovino and myself were at Subway and Tommy and some guys from Woodcraft sat at the table next to ours.

We were making small talk and joking around about the conference, etc. At one point the conversation turned to online shows vs broadcast, he asked how my show was going and if I knew about Marc's numbers too.

He was basing it on his tv numbers vs online numbers, etc. And I really didn't feel like pushing the point further that they're two very different creatures even though there is crossover audience members.

Tommy is an amazing woodworker and I think he's inspired and taught A LOT of woodworkers tricks and techniques they never knew existed or thought they could do. I have respect for him as a content producer, woodworker, etc.

But regarding whether online woodworking is dead I completely disagree.

Really?!?!?! Not to say anything about Tommy Mac since I don't know him (and to be really honest, never heard of him prior to Rough Cut) but given what I've seen of his show, I really think his numbers are much higher then they would be if New Yankee Workshop or Woodworks were still on the air. I'm guessing that they reflect the lack of alternatives on TV for woodworkers to watch. In my area Rough Cut is the ONLY woodworking show around. PBS cut The Woodsmith's shop and The Woodwright's shop to make room/money for Rough Cut which took over The Woodsmith Shop's time slot here. The DIY channel has turned into the decorating channel and there's pretty much no other game in town.

I use AppleTV and watch a lot of podcasts and Internet videos on TV... only way to get the content I want now... :(

-Jim

Really?!?!?! Not to say anything about Tommy Mac since I don't know him (and to be really honest, never heard of him prior to Rough Cut) but given what I've seen of his show, I really think his numbers are much higher then they would be if New Yankee Workshop or Woodworks were still on the air. I'm guessing that they reflect the lack of alternatives on TV for woodworkers to watch. In my area Rough Cut is the ONLY woodworking show around. PBS cut The Woodsmith's shop and The Woodwright's shop to make room/money for Rough Cut which took over The Woodsmith Shop's time slot here. The DIY channel has turned into the decorating channel and there's pretty much no other game in town.

I use AppleTV and watch a lot of podcasts and Internet videos on TV... only way to get the content I want now... :(

-Jim

PBS in my area airs The Woodwright's Shop, American Woodshop, Rough Cut, The Woodsmith's Shop, and they just added The Wood Turner's Workshop

But seriously though, thanks guys for all the nice comments. Even though my shows are more along the line of sub-par public access TV quality, I appreciate people stopping by.

I've just recently started following the Spoken Wood podcast you've got and I wanted to throw out a thanks for it and everything you've put out. I took the time to download all the past eps and they're keeping me company in the shop.

PBS in my area airs The Woodwright's Shop, American Woodshop, Rough Cut, The Woodsmith's Shop, and they just added The Wood Turner's Workshop

You have a better PBS channel then here, I guess there's just not as much call for woodworking shows in my area. There's no Woodcraft or Rockler around either :(

Fortunately I can watch a lot of the shows online...

-Jim

• Like 1