Clamp setup: Ghetto or clever?

ryandetzel

Some folks learn from their time in the Ghetto, others waste away, and some get wasted away. Use all your life experiences to enlighten the path of your life.

I say, good use of clamps and your brain. What is the primary material of that surface made from? If solid wood, you'll have trouble with expansion opening ends, and/or pulling away from facing. If non-moving material, it looks great.

Tell your wife she can buy a new dress with the money you saved from not buying LONG clamps.

Fun times.

Some folks learn from their time in the Ghetto, others waste away, and some get wasted away. Use all your life experiences to enlighten the path of your life.

I say, good use of clamps and your brain. What is the primary material of that surface made from? If solid wood, you'll have trouble with expansion opening ends, and/or pulling away from facing. If non-moving material, it looks great.

Tell your wife she can buy a new dress with the money you saved from not buying LONG clamps.

Fun times.

The top is oak plywood, the sides are poplar.

So is there a "correct" way to do this? Do they sell clamps this long?

"correct" is a relative term. If it get the job done the it works. Looks like you got the job done so it's correct.

There are clamps that long - pipe clamps. Basically you get a 10' (or whatever length) iron pipe (black pipe from the hardware store) and stick these clamps on them: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17397&filter=pipe%20clamp

You can then make a clamp any length you want. The only down size is price compared to how often you use them. I've got a set of six six footers in my shop that I got for one project 10 years ago. I've used them maybe twice since then. There are times I am not sure having to store the things is worth it.

Sometimes clever IS ghetto! :rolleyes: Congrats!

Next time you're in the BORG pick up a handful of these:http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware/Adjustable-Clamp/h_d1/N-5yc1vZarnkZ4b/R-202688752/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 , they make stuff like that pretty easy. The stores around here sell the Husky version which has a T-handle on the center screw instead of a thumbscrew, you can get a bit more torque with it.

HTH,

Bill

That is not ghetto. Pushing it against the wall and backing your truck up against it is ghetto. :) I know a cabinet maker that doesn't own a single clamp never has never will. He use a piece of rope with little shop made blocks. The rope has a loop in it and he slips the rope over and twist the loop with a stick.

Don

• Like 1