How does one make X identical spindles?

ryandetzel

lathe duplicators are how some do it but cnc is how large manufacturers do them. just put a stick in and out comes a finished piece. hobbyist might do them with either lathe duplicator or calipers and just getting it close enough. lathe duplicators don't have to be fancy either just a cutter on a tool holder and a pattern to follow.

Duplicator would be the way to go because of how close the spindles are to eachother. Since the spacing is so close they really have to be pretty spot on since they are easily compared and much variance would be highly noticable. Watch for used ones, it seems like people buy them for a big job or two and then part with them. I have a Rockler version (really not a very good unit but it works) that I paid $200 new years ago and I have seen real good units go for cheaper that that-on second thought want to buy a Rockler duplicator :P Is this for you?

Nate

30? Is it for a stairwell? They'll be adjacent to one another? My recommendation, don't make them, buy them. There are enough suppliers from online retailers to Home Depot or Lowes that carry spindles. With a little looking, you will be able to find the profile you want or at least very close.

Custom order?

Otherwise, depending on the profile you have selected, you'll need a lathe with at least a spindle length capability + a few inches of the length of the spindles you want ( a mini-lathe probably won't work here) and a duplicator if you want them to match exactly. You could do it by hand with a template and calipers but will be very slow going and probably won't match exactly. But this is a great opportunity to get into the wonderful world of turning! You'll be hooked.

Take your time and do them by hand without a duplicator. Duplicators do not reproduce spindles exactly and always look like they were done with a duplicator.

When you are doing as many as 30 or even 10 of a particular pattern, you will develop a certain feel for the pattern and it becomes almost second nature for you and after the first 2-3, it will go fast.

As others have said, use a story stick and also use sharp tools. Take your time and sharpen all of your lathe tools BEFORE you start and hone them between every post.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

VM

How expensive is black walnut where you live? Where I'm from it'd be pricey - there's more wood to a crib than you might think. Also, if other kids are like mine they'll chew it up when they're bored or waiting for you to come get them. I bought mine, glad I did. He killed the top rail and he's outgrown it after a year.

If you're not stuck on round spindles I'm in the process of building what is basicaly Rockler's 3 in 1 crib...Jim over at provenwoodworking.com adapted thier plans and also designed a pretty neat jig to get all 52 spindles identicle. You may want to check it out. One word of caution if you take this route; take your time making the jig any flaws in the jig show up in each of the spindles.