Drawer cleats on a dresser

Pwalter5110

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f9/dresser-build-31734/

Post six on this link has a picture of what I am trying to explain.

Dwacker, I honestly don't have much more info, I am just throwing ideas around in my head. Honestly, I don't even know what a "full dust frame" is. I am new to this but I don't want to use plans. I would rather design them myself.

Preeng2, I guess the answer to your question is both. I see a lot of people who have what basically looks like squares inserted into the carcass of the dresser. Do they just use dado joints?

First, the easy answer is that the guide is simply attached to the top of the runner with glue, nails or screws. The runner can be attached in many different ways, depending on the construction and material used for your carcass. Yes you can use a dado, but if you are using solid wood construction on solid side panels, you will want to only glue the front couple of inches and attach the rear of the runner with a screw in an elongated hole so that as the side panel expands and contracts with the seasonal movement, the runner will float.

It's great that you want to make your own plans, but I would suggest that you look at some plans to get an idea of the different types of construction that are used and then you can adapt them for your project.

I generally don't use plans, but if I was making a dresser, I'd use plans. When I watched the Guild Build chest of drawers and the accompanying Charles Neil videos, I realized that there's a lot of design detail going on that isn't obvious.

You might consider getting the Guild Build chest of drawers DVDs. You could watch them, and then make up your own plans with a better idea of the issues.

http://www.woodworki...er-build-31734/

Post six on this link has a picture of what I am trying to explain.

Dwacker, I honestly don't have much more info, I am just throwing ideas around in my head. Honestly, I don't even know what a "full dust frame" is. I am new to this but I don't want to use plans. I would rather design them myself.

The webbing in a dresser is called a dust frame. Traditionally the pre slide drawers rode on the dust frame. Before we got cheap you would see the frames filled with hardwood panels and later plywood. Nowadays it's just high end and antiques but it is handy. The panel keeps over stuffed drawers from snagging the clothes in the drawer below.

Don

I put a dust panel in the bottom of the dressers I build, but it mostly to keep mice and other bugs out. It has nothing to do with keeping clothes from snagging because the opening is typically tighter than the clearance at the dust panel.

Your missing the point of a full dust panel. For example you have the lower drawer packed with sweaters, When you open the drawer above it the sweaters expand and when you go to reclose the drawer above it snags the sweaters preventing the drawer from closing.

Don

I respectfully disagree...a dust panel is for dust. Besides, if the drawer is that packed with sweaters they could snag when you open the drawer through the face of the dresser. In any case I ease the edges of my projects so there shouldn't be an edge to snag anything. I don't know what you do on your projects. In the end, I'm pretty sure they're called a dust panel for a reason man. An anti-snag panel would be for...snagging and no one calls them that.

I respectfully disagree...a dust panel is for dust. Besides, if the drawer is that packed with sweaters they could snag when you open the drawer through the face of the dresser. In any case I ease the edges of my projects so there shouldn't be an edge to snag anything. I don't know what you do on your projects. In the end, I'm pretty sure they're called a dust panel for a reason man. An anti-snag panel would be for...snagging and no one calls them that.

Probably before your time. They are called dust panels because there was no such thing as ball bearing drawer slides when the term dust panel came out long before any of us were alive. When the drawer was opened and closed they once apon a time kept the dust from the draw wearing itself from falling on the clothes in the lower drawer. They also hold down over stuffed items so the drawe above can close. This isnt something I just made up. Here is an article dated 1923 that shows dust panels on all drawers. The reason you dont see it today is modern hardware and cost savings.

http://books.google.com/books?id=tpYiAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA4-PA43&lpg=RA4-PA43&dq=dresser+dust+panels&source=bl&ots=KACdPOz7PN&sig=eMcE1GnfpUGvnSSbJ7c3YV0c6Qk&hl=en&ei=OqfKTvbdDcPmiAKP0bX7Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CFQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=dresser%20dust%20panels&f=false