Sheet Music Chest

simeond

So, I have a client that wants a "chest" to hold her sheet music. It will be next to their piano in their Japanses-ish decor living room. Here's what I'm working with at the moment...

post-4989-0-48250500-1321933821_thumb.jp

music cab.skp

The "doors" are actually faces to two "filing cabinet" type drawers. They are bookmatched spalted maple. The rest will be wenge, I think. On either side of the two "file" drawers is a shelf for music books. The criss-crossing lighter pieces will be the "bookends" for these shelves and made in tiger maple. Not sure if I've explained it clearly. Always open to suggestions...

You said the crossed arced pieces (horn shaped? sword shaped?) act as book ends. Based on their current position, will the books always be accessed from the end of the structure and not the front? The current position indicates that. If that’s so, and there are enough books to span the full width of the shelf, shouldn’t there be another set of crossed arcs on the back side as well to support the books there? If the books were meant to be accessed from the front, then the two crossed pieces could be moved to the ends, and the cabinet carcass would support the books on the side opposite the crossed pieces. Just thinking out loud as it were.