wood movement

Kentwood

First posting here. I'll get right to the point.

I've made a few end grain cutting boards for gifting and am having trouble keeping them flat.

The boards are made of maple, cherry, and/or walnut. They range in size from roughly 8x8 to 12x20 and are 1.25 to 2 inches thick. The strips were milled from 8/4 and 5/4 kiln-dried lumber, allowed to rest for a few days, and glued up (I used titebond II at first, then switched to polyurethane). A day after cleaning and planing the glued up pieces I recut them and glued the strips of endgrain together. Cleaned up and ran through the planer. Sanding though 400 grit. Next came a couple of days applying mineral oil/beeswax and drying. I began to notice a wobble in the boards at this time and now have several in various stages from just planed to sanded to oiled all with bowing or twisting. Despite apparently succesful replaning, both hand and machine, the problem comes back.

Usually I enjoy solving a problem like this but I seem to have only discovered my frustration limit. Any ideas?

Yes,Don, yes I am. Or I was until a couple of hours ago. Since we began this discussion I tried an experiment; wiped down one side of the board with a damp rag and let it sit for 45 minutes or so. Sure enough, it twisted a bit! Didn't realize how quickly the endgrain sucks up whatever available moisture. I rigged a rack so they can stand on end and , hopefully, they'll suck up or spit out equal amounts. I'm sure it'll still move a bit since my milling isn't perfect (pretty darn close though).

So, if I let them stand awhile, use my handplane (thanks for the reminder) to shave the high spots, sand and finish, do I dare hope they stay flat(ish)?

Bruce