Looking for ideas

ViolinMagick

Greetings all,

I am thinking seriously about building an adjustable height workbench for my shop. The one I use now is really too light and is really not much more than a heavy table.

The adjustability of the height is needed so it can pull double duty as an outfeed table for my tablesaw on my shopsmith. Also, I would like to be able to lift it up onto rollers and then lower it again so it is rock solid on the concrete.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

VM

Define "adjustable".

It would be quite straightforward to create a bench with two height settings. Simply build a setup similar to this one:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/workbenches/the-easiest-way-to-make-your-bench-mobile

This gives you the two heights needed: One wheeled and high enough for the table saw and b.) Another lower and sitting firmly on the concrete floor. Building something infinitely adjustable to a range of different heights would be a whole 'nother fettle of knish.

Here’s a commercially available adjustable unit that you can build your own bench around or they can sell you a complete bench. However, the complete workbench may not be to your liking. This is an order form which shows prices. If you want to build your own adjustable mechanism, here is a North Carolina Woodworker forum post, that shows one persons adjustable workbench build. By the way, for some reason the NCW post link wants to go to the bottom of the page (that is, scroll up to pictures). It was posted July of 2009. No plans, but perhaps you could contact the poster for further details, if the pictures are not enough.

If you could get your hands on an old hospital bed it would be perfect and possibly free. You could size it to whatever you need with some elbow grease and brain power plus you couldn't ask for a more solid and adjustable surface. Another idea would be something like a cycle lift. With either one just build a bench on top of it to a height that puts you at your lowest need, then you can raise it from there. I know I have seen a couple lifts at auctions go for $100 but I don't know if this is common as it is out of my realm. Just a thought.

Nate

I think I have something worked up. My main complaint about most adjustable tables is that you lose all the storage under them. The scissors lift itself gave me the idea in fact. What if the table itself was the lift? I could use a single trailer tongue jack in the middle and triangulate out to the base and the top. Open the jack and it would push the top up.

Off to go play with the idea in Cad.

I think I have something worked up. My main complaint about most adjustable tables is that you lose all the storage under them. The scissors lift itself gave me the idea in fact. What if the table itself was the lift? I could use a single trailer tongue jack in the middle and triangulate out to the base and the top. Open the jack and it would push the top up.

Off to go play with the idea in Cad.

VM, I don’t’ know if you’ve had a chance yet to review the lift mechanisms in the two links I posted above, however both designs would allow you to build out a storage area under each one. Height wise you would be limited to the lowest position of the lift legs. Just a thought.

Don mentioned Sam Blasco’s workbench. Here is Sam’s Sawmill Creek forum post on his workbench. Unfortunately, you have to be a member to see the pictures of Sam’s workbench. It’s posted in two sets. I was able to see the pictures, and I can only say it is an impressive workbench. The third picture in the first set really shows the Baltic Birch edge grain that Don mentioned. Sadly, he covered it all up with a wrap around wood edge.