How to make Pressible Buttons!

A wooden case that encloses electronics isn't that bad. Witness:

http://woodgears.ca/computer_case/keyboard.html

You can drill holes for standard, off-the-shelf buttons, switches, knobs or whatnot. But making an actual switch from scratch would seem to be a lot of fiddly work and, depending on what sort of current you plan on putting through whatever it is that you're building, potentially dangerous.

Perhaps the best compromise would be to use standard buttons from a place like Radio Shack, but have them recessed deeply enough that you can glue on some wooden faces to them.

Does the device already have buttons, and you want to create wooden extensions that activate the existing buttons? Or do you want to wire in new buttons? If you are comfortable wiring in new switches, here's what I'd do:

Buy switches like these (I'm not recommending this supplier, brand, or model - this was just the first example I could find). The idea is that you remove the plastic head, drill a hole in your panel, feed the button in from the back, secure it with a lock nut in the front, and replace the plastic head. In your case, you'd make a wooden head to replace the plastic one. The head hides all the metal stuff underneath.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Drill hole above the switch, put dowel in hole, cap dowel with decorative button, do something on the other end of the dowel to keep it from falling out. Maybe a pin across the dowel.
  • If the button rattles up and down, add a spring around the dowel to hold the shaft against the button. One end of the spring against the cross pin, the other against your wooden box.
  • if the button rotates, and that's a problem, then use a square hole and a square "dowel". Or cut a groove down the dowel and put a pin or something to ride in the groove.
  • If you want something more unusual and "wood-crafty", then make the control panel like a "tongue drum", with the end of each tongue above a button. Glue a piece under the end of the tongue to contact the button, and maybe a piece above to suggest where to press. The tongue acts as a spring.

Those are just some ideas off the top of my head.

• Like 1