project for musician?

duckkisser

Making an instrument is, of course, the first thing that pops to mind. The second thing is something I've seen in instrument-building videos that is both often overlooked, and also IMO a nice personal touch - which is a stand for an instrument. A nice stand for guitars, in particular, would be a great project. What does this person play?

The best thing I can think of is some sort of music stand. I built a music stand for myself a while back and it is a lot better than the metal stands out there. To go a little bit out of the normal stand, I think maybe a table-top stand would be a good idea. Something that will sit on top of a table to hold paper or music while they are playing guitar.

The guitar stand is also a great idea. Really you can't go wrong with any of them.

thinking i might make eather a stand or small box shaped like a guitar. the box will have a lock on it that is a wood bar that stretches from one side of the box to the other then to open it you just pull the bar out......looks like a guitar neck when the lock is open

A tonque drum is a build that can be as easy to do as you like or as complex. I build one for my brother-in-law for his birthday and he loved it. You can use any of the designs which are already out there or create your own. Or you could modify an existing design to include more complex joinery.

hmmm never heard of them how well do they sound? are they just basicly a box with a opening cut into them? do i need to use a specific type of wood? just looked it up i love boxes and these look cool.

if you had a pattern for the cuts saved somewhere could you send it to me? having hard time finding a good pattern.......also time is limited so i dont have much time to look for it right this second.

The top should be Pauduk, which in theory has the warmest sound. I believe it is also the traditional wood. There's a great pattern for a really easy to build tongue drum in Wood Magazine. You can download the plan if you google search "Tone of fun Tongue drum plan" or "Wood Magazine Tongue drum plan". I own the plans but I'm sure is frowned upon to post them.

ok found it hmmmm do not have pauduk, i have cherry, mapple, little elm, walnut, hickory, pine :) some purple heart. what would you recomend....i have lots of cherry and maple.

Which ever wood you choose it will have a unique sound. I think the cherry top on the maple box would look great. But if it were me, I'd use the purple heart for the top and the maple for the box. I'd love to hear the purple heart's sound.

look up robert benedetto's method for "tone tapping." you take your board and hold it between two fingers and tap the board close to your ear and listen for resonance. As for a music stand, I personally love wall mounts for my guitars, I have 6 guitars mounted in my room and it would be a nightmare if they were all on the floor or if i had to take them out of the case each time i wanted to play one.

look up robert benedetto's method for "tone tapping." you take your board and hold it between two fingers and tap the board close to your ear and listen for resonance. As for a music stand, I personally love wall mounts for my guitars, I have 6 guitars mounted in my room and it would be a nightmare if they were all on the floor or if i had to take them out of the case each time i wanted to play one.

not a bad idea maybe for a birthday ill do that know he has a couple plus ill make it so he can hang his other instruments up as well

Here are a couple of photos of the tongue drum I made for my brother in law. I didn't get a chance to take a bunch of good photos, so these are the best I have.

post-2771-0-19734800-1323204733_thumb.jppost-2771-0-71955200-1323204777_thumb.jp

must have been a pain to get those ends round like that. did you bend wood or was it just lots of glue up or a really thick board that you cut down