Buying or collecting other's work

mn pete

I've been on a box making kick...before our relocation...still working on getting the shop up and running. Darn day job!

http://secondwindwor...doug-stowe.html

I just picked up this box from Doug Stowe's Etsy site. I thought it would be cool to own a piece by the guy who's inspired me in my woodworking.

Have any of you ever purchased work from someone you admire or inspires you?

post-2321-0-09861200-1322841068_thumb.jp

I have a pretty good collection of my friends works, but none of it are things that can be bought. Scale models, scrapped turnings, molding samples, teaching examples, and the like. Partly because they symbolize more than just a craftsman/client relationship, and partly because I can't afford their commercial work. :)

Hey Paul,

I've never done texturing of a wood surface like this. Do you use a power tool (Dremel, carverm etc...) and/or chisels and gouges?

I used a power chisel with a variety of gouge "bits". Very easy. I made some transition flooring boards with it and they feel fantastic on the feet. Also did a 3'x3' panel of it for a friend who used it for drawer fronts. You could do it by hand with a gouge, but with 9 sq. ft. it's nice to have the power chisel. The key to those gouges is to buy a strop that you chuck in a drill press as you can use it often while working it to keep the wire edge off.

afraid not i kinda had to plow through and learn alot on here, magazines, books, videos, ugggg my brain hurts. but i would like to own something by james krenov always like his simple lines in his furniture. right now im investment is in the tools that i want not the futniture that i want.

I haven't at this point. But my brother-in-law, William Wells, (who is top designer/woodworker) has a David Haig rocker (photo attached from David's web site) that I got to sit in [http://www.davidhaig...nz/index.html]. He also has a Michael Fortune #1 (I believe) chair. Tasty and inspiring. Yes, he let me sit in that one as well. William trained with Michael and they continue to collaborate and team teach.

Nice to be surrounded by inspiration, be it people, art, ideas.

post-357-0-68833700-1322922341_thumb.png