Can anyone tell me anything about this Craftsman drill press?

ryandetzel

It's at my mother in laws, it was her ex-husbands and I was thinking of taking it but it's huge and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth dragging it home or not. This is the only picture I have of it but I know it runs because I hit the on switch and it worked(it's been plugged in for over 10 years). Is this a decent dill press, is it worth taking for free if I can drag it home?

post-5800-0-80088600-1323091968_thumb.jp

I guess the question is it worth the space in my garage shop. :-) It's a floor standing model and unlike my small bench top which I can easily throw someplace this one will actually take up space. My benchtop sucks, when I use a fornster on any hardwood is usually gets stuck so would this one be better?

If I get this I might try to convert my benchtop into a mortiser...I wonder if it has enough power for that.

I guess the question is it worth the space in my garage shop. :-) It's a floor standing model and unlike my small bench top which I can easily throw someplace this one will actually take up space. My benchtop sucks, when I use a forstner on any hardwood is usually gets stuck so would this one be better?

As was said, for the price you have nothing to lose. Haul it home and check it out. Check for spindle runout and play in the spindle and/or quill. It looks like it was lightly used, so it may check out fine (assuming it was built well in the first place).

You don't say what the model is, but it looks like a model 113.21370 (1/2 hp). If so, here's a link to a manual: http://www.managemyl...NM/L1005453.pdf

Two important factors in drill presses are power and weight. Any floor standing drill press with a bigger motor and a heavy column and table can almost always out perform a bench top.

If I get this I might try to convert my benchtop into a mortiser...I wonder if it has enough power for that.

The smaller bench tops are a little under built for a mortiser. Not sure the mortiser attachment will fit. Even with a full size floor model they dont work all that well. You cant beat free for a drill press, Id take it home and tune it up.

Don

• 9 years later...

It is a GREAT drill press.  I have owned mine (new - discounted as a floor model at local Sears) since 1970's.

A real workhorse.  I  too added the table height adjustment.  Not great add-on, but it works.

I have a question for anyone about this model # 113.213710.

I am mounting it to a Grizzly Build-your-own base using 3/4" ply.   The base description says its good for "up to 600#".   I carefully moved the unit onto the base, and it seems to sag a bit.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE WEIGHT OF THIS BEAST??  I have the manual, but weight not given.

THANKS

Reply to egerson@comcast.net

782335F9-BA1A-4841-88D3-1BA8D9957AA7.thumb.jpeg.49d07e75e1d9ef874bffe660f9413148.jpeg

If you build storage you are taking full advantage of the space. The piece slides out of the way if I ever needed to drop the table real low. The bottom of the cabinet has high density plastic that allows it to slide out. So the footprint of the drill is the same as the cabinet. My previous drill was a bench top. A big difference. Think about getting an enhancement for the table. I like the woodpecker that I bought.

@ICN2U, if you were able to move the machine onto the base without a helper, it probably weighs somewhat less than 600 pounds. I can't imagine any non-industrial drill press I have ever seen weighing more than 250 or so. Of course, some of the industrial drills we have at work will go a couple of tons.