Board with small splits. Salvagable?

Zignot5

Hello!

Last fall I bought a board at a garage sale. The guy was selling everything from the upstairs of a barn he had just purchased. It was mostly lumber that had been up there for 30+ years.

The board I got is approx 3"x6"x10' and all birds eye maple. I was very excited when I found it, gave him the 20$ for it and ran. Now that I've had a chance to look it over I see that there are lots of tiny splits/ cracks, all going with the grain. They range in width from thinner than a sheet of paper to 2 sheets of paper. None of the splits go through the board. They might even just be superficial, but I haven't cut into it. I'm guessing that years of freezing and thawing made it crack.

My question is... Is this board usable as a whole with the splits? Or do I need to just cut it into smaller pieces?

Thanks for the input!

I'll see what it looks like and follow up later. I'm really hoping that I don't have to reduce it to small pieces. But then again I don't have a solid idea of what to do with it as a whole.

I also go a slab of oak that is 22" x 6/4" x 12'. It was covered with black dust and the guy was convinced that it was black walnut, but a scraper revealed oak with lots of curl. I had to pay 50$ for that because I couldn't get him to believe me that it wasn't walnut. It's in great condition so I don't feel too bad about it.

Drum sander is the best option if thats not possible and if you are going to run it through a planer make very light passes and slightly wet the wood first, it will give you much better results. A better choice is a hand plane if you are able, lets you control the outcome befor it's too late. As for your plank, I'm not an oak man but a big slab of curly oak will make me smile, and $50 is a steal as long as it is stable. Keep us posted.