Metric Vs. imperial

Spanner

When you send out guild packages do you also include metric measurements?

Also are you able to speak metric on your videos as well as imperial to help Neanderthals like me?

I ask this cause I want to join but since I am soooooo baaaaaad at math I find it very hard doing the transferring from imperial to metric.

I am from Australia and we have upgraded to metric about 40 years ago.

Cheers, spanner.

When you send out guild packages do you also include metric measurements?

Yes. We are doing this as regular practice. But remember that any SketchUp plan can be immediately converted to your desired units very easily. But since the project was designed in imperial, the numbers won't be nice and even when converted to metric.

Also are you able to speak metric on your videos as well as imperial to help Neanderthals like me?

Sounds like a simple thing but it would add significantly more work to my already full plate. The way I film the videos, I am usually speaking off the top of my head. Keeping track of conversions would be very difficult for me. Perhaps some day when I'm not the only person doing all the work.

I ask this cause I want to join but since I am soooooo baaaaaad at math I find it very hard doing the transferring from imperial to metric.

You're not alone spanner. We have a fairly large international audience and I'm sure my imperial numbers frustrate more than a few. But we do our best to accommodate our international friends. We ship all products overseas and our giveaways are open to everyone. But when it comes to the math, there's just too much involved to take it on right now.

Hey Marc, have you ever done a project just in metric? Might be a neat idea for a video...I'm sure there would be some humorous outtakes as well :) I tried it once on a rolling shop cart just to see and it really makes you think. Being from Canada, the metric system is all around us, but for things like woodworking it's still hard to get away from the imperial system. It definitely was nicer not having to deal with fractions, but I just couldn't picture the measurements like I can with imperial. I know how far 4 feet is...but when it's phrased as 1219 mm I have no idea.

The way I film the videos, I am usually speaking off the top of my head. Keeping track of conversions would be very difficult for me. Perhaps some day when I'm not the only person doing all the work.

I'm picturing a little box in the corner with an interpreter speaking metric. "Closed captioned for the imperial impaired."

• Like 2

I'm picturing a little box in the corner with an interpreter speaking metric. "Closed captioned for the imperial impaired."

And if it's done like 'mericans in a foreign land, the interpreter will simply yell louder in imperial thinking those who understand Metric will just get it.

• Like 1

You guys crack me up.

I am one of those lucky ones who did his apprenticeship during the switch from imperial to metric, so am fluent in both and both have their advantages. 1/3rd is bloody hard to say in metric without a repeater!

Where I come undone is the different measurements with fluid volumes such as gallons, English v US.

The easier units to use are metric and that is how I ended going.

Intellectually, I'm all for metric. I just don't see how to get there from here unless the rest of the country is coming with me. In my day job all the units on the fire side are US/imperial and all the medicine dosages I work with that are proportional to body weight are in kilograms, and I always have to sit and mentally convert it if I'm guesstimating weight.

G'day Spanner. I'm from the great south land too and the imperial stuff really does my head in. I can deal with the straight measurements but when it comes to adding or subtracting a fraction, then I'm really in headache land.

So do you Americans have calculators with imperial fractions and stuff?

• Like 1

G'day Spanner. I'm from the great south land too and the imperial stuff really does my head in. I can deal with the straight measurements but when it comes to adding or subtracting a fraction, then I'm really in headache land.

So do you Americans have calculators with imperial fractions and stuff?

So Afro,

Are you a guild member?

Have you done many builds of stuff in imperial? Have you had any grief with sourcing timber or do you need to do major milling to get the right measurements?

Cheers,

Spanner

So for all the folks out there working in metric, can you educate me on what you'd expect to see in the plans? That way I can try to get as close as possible. For instance, the Roubo bench is 87 inches long. For the metric version, are you wanting mm or cm, and to what precision?

87" = 2209.8mm = 220.98cm

My best guess is that the metric plans should say 2210mm. It's rare to specify get a dimension with more precision than 1/16", or 1.5875mm. So rounding to the nearest mm seems fine, since this is about a third of the highest tolerance we would ever see.

Please let me know if this assumption is wrong, since I've never seen any metric plans. Thanks!

Haha. First thing about metric in Australia. Men talk in mm and metres. Women talk in cm that is centimetres. I refer to cm's as dressmakers measurements.

The great thing is that metres and millimeters work hand in hand. 1.800 metres is 1800 millimeters, a simple matter of the decimal point removed from metres and hey presto, millimetres!

Haha. First thing about metric in Australia. Men talk in mm and metres. Women talk in cm that is centimetres. I refer to cm's as dressmakers measurements.

The great thing is that metres and millimeters work hand in hand. 1.800 metres is 1800 millimeters, a simple matter of the decimal point removed from metres and hey presto, millimetres!

Okay, so no cm in the plans! :) Would you typically see mm or meters (or metres if you insist) in a woodworking plan?

Okay, so no cm in the plans! :) Would you typically see mm or meters (or metres if you insist) in a woodworking plan?

Aaron, depending on the project. As I am a cottage builder the plans are always in metres. (this from Wikipedia 'The metre (meter in the US), symbol m, is the base unit of length in the International System of Units (SI).')

As I said earlier metres or millimetres either is fine, A plan for a cabinet shows it is to be 1.568 long or 1568 long, In the land of metric, we all understand what you are saying.

This is where using centimetres can bring Men undone. If you said to me 156.8 I would pressume you meant metres. A dressmaker could say 156.8 and that would mean centimetres but in men speak, that would have us baffled. Switching to imperial could help others understand the glaring difference, 514.3 feet or 5.14 feet.

Q: Why is your workbench 2.2 kilometers long?

A1: Because my old bench wouldn't let me work on 10' bookshelves?

A2: Because this way 1000 of my closest friends can help me on a project, at the same time...

A3: Have you ever tried to plane a whole Redwood on sawhorses?

A4: Hand Tool Olympics, planing arena.