suggestions for hanging a simple shelf

Kratchit

I am literally just starting with woodworking. I would like to do this all the time, but I am still living with the parents =\ . I have a basic knowledge of the art and what I have learned from The Wood Whisperer podcasts, but I could use some advice. I would like to make a simple shelf that sits under my window to hold 2 plants. But, I would like to make it movable for when I rearrange my room. I need a sturdy and strong method of hanging this shelf, but also so it won't fall off easily. I do know the French cleat would work, but my dad believes it will fall off too easily and won't hold. Thanks for any help.

Andrea

You could get clever. You could find some keyhole hardware. You could make your shelf a box with a couple of screws fired through the bottom and into the wall, but the french cleat is hard to beat for simple and dependable. I live in earthquake country and that is what I use to secure tall furniture to walls.

I'm assuming that the shelf either has support brackets or a second shelf to keep it perpendicular to the wall. In that case the french cleat or even a couple of "L" hooks into the studs and into holes drilled in the bottom of the shelf will work.

If the shelf is just a single shelf without any support then I would drive a couple of threaded rods into the studs and drill matching holes in the back of the shelf to slide on the rods. If you were concerned that the shelf might slide off the rods, you could drive a screw into the bottom of the shelf to hit the rod and lock it in.