Drill Press Recommendation

The last couple of projects I have built, I have run into situations where a quality drill press would have been very helpful to have. I have access to a metalworking drill press, but have found it a pain to work with on wood, (not to mention a mess at times). Therefore, I am in the market for a drill press for my shop. I am looking for recomendations for what to look for specific to woodworking. I am not necessarily looking a brand recomendation, (but will gladly accept one), but more the features that will help me become a better woodworker.

I am a hobbist at best, spending a couple nights a week in the shop and maybe one weekend day. I cannot justify a top of the line model, but I have learned the value of a decent quality tools and equipment over getting the cheapest thing out there. Also, I understand that I will probalby need to buy/build a table for it.

Last, there is a woodworking show coming in Febuary to my area. (2 hour drive). I have never been to a major woodworking show and I was planning on going anyway. Would I be likely to score a good deal on one if I waited until the show?

Thanks!

Ed

Hi Ed,

The truth is, very few drill press tables are setup well for woodworking, but for metal working. They will work, but many woodworkers build a table to go on top of the table included with the drill press. I have been told the table the table on the Powermatic comes closest to a good woodworking table for a drill press. So if you see a deal on a drill press that seem to be for metal working, don't let that hold you back, most drill presses fall in this category.

That said, what should you look for. If you have the room, get a floor model. However, I have used a bench top drill press for many years quite successfully. The limitation of the bench top drill press is the vertical height, and the distance from the quill to the main bar supporting the head. I have found the power on the motor to sufficient for most everything on the bench top model. I was recently given an older floor drill press. I have found that the additional height and space has definitely been an advantage to have around, and do tend to use it more than my bench top drill press, which still has a home in my shop.

The higher end drill presses have variable speed control which is helpful. Most drill presses have a belt system in the top of the head that can be reconfigured to the appropriate speed of the bit being used.

I started with a Craftsman industrial floor model drill press years ago, it was a good unit that performed very well. I now have the Powermatic PM2800 and it's excellent. I also have a shop fox table top oscillating model and I would not recommend it even as a boat anchor.

When I stared woodworking a professional told me the second most important tool in your shop is the drill press.

I think that for woodworking, the two things you want in a drill press that are (sort of) different than what you need for metalworking are:

1. A big table with a fence.

2. A large swing (that is, a large distance from the centerline of the chuck to the drill press column).

The Powermatic PM2800 looks like a step in the right direction, although I'd say that its table is still a little on the small side, and at $1100 I think it's overpriced.

If I was in the market for a drill press, I would look for a floor model (as opposed to a benchtop) with a decent swing, and then just make a big table for it. Grizzly has some likely candidates for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the Powermatic. And then of course there's always craigslist.

As it is, I have a floor model with a 14" swing and a homemade table. The only thing I wish for sometimes is more swing.

-- Russ

If you've used an old Rockwell or similar you will probably be disappointed by just about everything sold in the wood working market today. Big table is something you wont find as you already know, so be prepared to build or buy. The depth is another, The deeper it drills the better the arbor needs to be so look for slop in the arbor when fully extended. I have the PM2800 and its ok, it drills holes but the bells and whistle are quirky nothing to write home about. The table and fence looks good in pictures but pictures are deceiving. Id get the most you can within your budget just so you dont out grow it and have to do it again.

Don

I have the PM2800 and its ok, it drills holes but the bells and whistle are quirky nothing to write home about. The table and fence looks good in pictures but pictures are deceiving.

I was reluctant to comment specifically on the PM2800 quality since I don't have one. But many of the reviews on Amazon tend to agree with you.

-- Russ

Thanks for all the info.. I am definitly going to go with a floor model. While I do drool over the PM 2800, that is out of my budget restrictions. Right now I am looking at the Jet 17-950L and 17-959 or the Delta 18-900L (which really pushes the budget past the max, or the Delta 17-959L). I keep leaning towards the Delta 18-900, but I am not sure if that is because I really like all the features or becuase it looks like a Cylon from the old Battlestar Galatica series! Have not looked at Grizzly yet, but will begin looking there also.

By access, I'm guessing you mean it's not one you own. If not build a table and save some cash :).

I have the Delta 17-959L and it does everything I need it to do quite well. The table's nice and large, but I've still built an auxiliar table and fence for it. It has plenty of power and runs true. I'm not sure if the added expense of a larger one is worthwhile for the home hobbyist.

I have an old bench model that I bought back in the '80s from Harbor Frieght. I paid $60 or $70.00 for it I think. It sure isn't the best in the west but it works. I often wish it had a deeper throat and longer reach but, for what I do, it is fine.

I think that more important than the drill press it's self are the bits that are used with it. The proper drill bit for the job makes alot more difference than people think.

Rog

• Like 1

There are a few lists on the web of Harbor Freight gems. Along with all the junk they sell, Harbor Freight sells a few items that are great values, especially with their sales and coupons. Google for "harbor freight gems".

Item #43378 - 16 Speed Floor Drill Press is listed.

Also, this drill press table is listed, if you don't want to build your own.

I have used a Delta floor model for 10 years... My wife got it for me as a birthday present, what a woman!

Anyway, I've seen the Powermatic and it looks like it has some features which would be advantageous, but "Man, are they proud of that thing!" Where I usually shop it comes in at 3 times the cost of the Delta!

I'd say if you want value get the Delta, 2 things:

1 - You will want to build a table for it. Others have mentioned this as well.

2 - You will want to either secure it to your floor or mount it to a half sheet of 3/4" plywood. I did this. For a full-sized model it has a tiny little footprint and I always thought it "felt" a lot more stable mounted to the plywood.

I will say this: I've had the Delta a long time and I've never felt the need to run out and get anything else. Its a solid performer and at 1/3 the cost of the Powermatic... well....