Purpleheart Cracks in Cutting Board

WillieIV

Doing several cutting boards for Christmas presents and have a couple purpleheart/maple boards where the purpleheart is cracking. No cracks were present during the final glue up but I left them in our basement on some cold tile while the glue was curing (very dry - low humidity basement). I went to grab them last night and my heart sank. I brought them upstairs and left them in the kitchen overnight and it appears that some of the cracks were closing up a little. After the final sanding will mineral oil close these cracks back up or what other options other than scrapping them do I have? It does not appear that any of the cracks are thru the entire section. The maple is not showing any signs of cracking - just the purpleheart.

cracks.jpg

the final sanding may push some fine saw dust into the cracks and fill them in a bit. was the purple heart good and dry? it looks like you are getting some end checking, which happens when you expose the end grain of a green wood. i believe it's caused by the wood drying out too quickly on the freshly exposed end grain. this is why you see people painting the ends of a freshly down tree or even on green, rough cut lumber. it slows the drying process and you lose less to end checking.

I think I might try some sanding dust and some TBIII and see where that gets me. An opinion of a fella that's been woodworking longer than I've been alive is that the material was heated too quickly - called it heat checking. Anyway wish me luck as I have 3 boards that are doing this and I'd REALLY hate for them to be firewood :(