Well, I made it ~ BUT what do I do with it?!

OK, so I made this tube as a part of testing the accuracy of my new angle gauge. It's made out of teak and is roughly 5.25" diameter and 24" long and the walls are 3/16" thick. Turned out beautiful; tight joints, etc. BUT, now that I made it, I have no idea what to do with it!! Anyone have any suggestions? A couple thoughts I had was to:

- make 2 more of different heights and band them together with some braided rope to look like a traditional pelican pole kind of lawn / garden ornament

- cut it into 2" sections, glue a bottom on and fill with wax (i.e. make candles out of them). However I don't know how safe it would be to make a candle with a wood (flammable) shell??

Looking for ideas as it's a beautiful tube and would hate for it to just sit in a corner of the shop :)

Thanks!

post-6031-0-61864500-1323720938_thumb.jp post-6031-0-87374400-1323720941_thumb.jp post-6031-0-70357100-1323720945_thumb.jp

hmmmmmmm a vase? or a contemporary clock just drill a hole and mount a clock works in it no number just the hands. put a couple ends on it and make a box out of it just band saw off a end and put a round lip on the inside so it stays in place. how about a holder for wood spoons, spatulas ect.

Thanks Guys, these are all awesome ideas! I think I may make a couple more tubes just so I can do all of the suggestions (more xmas gifts for the fam!) I used a Wixey 365 digital angle gauge (the new one) and although it's only accurate to .1 degrees, I've found that's more than adequate for woodworking. Maybe not for metal work where tolerances have to be within .001, but have had great results with wood and an accurate saw :)

I haven't figured out how to directly put the video in this post, http://boatworkstoday.com/archives/742 But here's a link (maybe this will post the vid when submitted? Let's see....) The last half of the video as close up's

Any thoughts on making candles with it? Safe / not safe?

Thanks everyone!

~Andy

huh, I saw on another thread that someone posted an actual video rather than a link.. Don't want to sound too much like a Noob, but how do I do this :angry:

Thanks again !

Andy, I had the same problem in one of my posts. I asked the question on the “Forum Help” sub-forum and here is Marc’s reply:

“I do occasionally embed videos for folks who just drop in the link.

Its a fairly easy process, but you need to have the right YouTube link. The easiest way I found to get it is to go to the video's page (doesn't matter how you got there). Click on the Share button just under the video and you'll see a URL. Copy that URL into your post and the video should show up automatically when you submit your post.”

I cut a total of 15 strips roughly 1" wide x 3/16 thick and put a 12 degree bevel on each side of the slat. Laid everything flat bevel side down, taped across the seams and flipped over. Put a bead of TB3 in each bevel groove, rolled it up and strapped it together with bungee cords (4 total). Worked pretty well but a little messy. Next time I'll make sure to have a piece of plastic on the table when doing this :)

huh.. working off that idea, wonder how well it would work if I drilled a number of small holes (as a pattern) around the body of it, put a top and bottom on and filled it with cedar shavings?? might be kinda cool? kind of a natural potpourri box? Maybe the girls would like it? Good suggestion! Gonna have to think about what I could put in it :)

I would drill a bunch of holes of random pattern and sizes in it, cap the top and use a removable bottom with a light bulb fixture inside for a mood lamp.

You may want to cut it down in height some. If you cut it into pieces of different lengths, you could make two or three lamps of the same design.

Rog