retirement shadow box for 30-year Chief Master Sergeant in oak ply

lawrence

Well, here's another shadow box I was asked to make. This one is for a retiring Command Chief Master Sergeant with 30 years of service. The wood is cabinet grade 1/2 ply for the rear box and 3/4 ply for the front. This alleviated the movement problems I encountered the last time I carved stripes into solid wood (I had to carve relief grooves in the back to prevent warping) The lighting is LED lights and the back has a small tab that spins out of the way to allow an MDF document holder to slide out. I included sealable fitted poly-bags which are specially designed to protect documents from age (and the effects of offgassing from the MDF) The glass is a "UV blocker" glass which, though a little more expensive, will protect his medals and ribbons. The back contains a french cleat so that the box will hang flat on the wall. Thanks for looking and as always, constructive critique is always appreciated as it only makes me better the next time around. The carving was done with my Carvewright and the top is held on with keyhole slots in the back of the front piece and small brass "L" hooks which you can see the end of in picture 2.

Ribbons will be added to the empty space tomorrow morning

P11000241024x768.jpg

here is the bottom, showing the switch, plug input, and where the document holder is.

P11000191024x768.jpg

The document holder slides out after the tab is flipped over

P11000201024x768.jpg

It is hinged to allow for access to the document safe within.

P11000221024x768.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Lawrence

• Like 1