Please recommend a dovetailing jig

Nick2cd

I spent the money on an 18" Leigh super jig. I've used it several time and it's great but I really wish I would have just invested that same amount of money in a good dovetail saw and some lessons on how to properly cut them by hand. The dovetail jig I am coming to realize is perfect for someone who does alot of cabinetry but if your plan is to use it to accompany you in the creation of a piece of furniture here and there you will spend some time getting the setup properly dialed in. I would persomally rather learn how to cut them by hand if I could do it all over again.

• Like 2

I'm going to chime in here as well. I was going to buy a jig about a year ago. I even posted the question to this group. But, I have to agree, doing them by hand is better. Or at least more fun and encourages you to be creative. I do all my tails on the band saw now and clean them up with chisels. I do pins with either a router for half-blind or a pullsaw for through dovetails.

There was an article in fine woodworking called "Half-blind dovetails in half the time". I read that and practiced that technique. Then I just expanded on what I learned in that technique to add to my through-dovetail cutting.

I'm telling you, you don't need a jig. If you use the jig a ton, you can get really fast with it. But my personal opinion is that a jig stifles your creativity. (This comes from the biggest Normite you will ever meet.)