Now THIS is a Knife---Block

wdkits1

Hi everyone

Been a while since I've had anything to post but thought you all might like to see one of the things I've been working on.

This is my newest commissioned project . The client sent some sketches of what he wanted along with the dimensions of all of the knives and an idea of the kinds of woods to use. This monster is 14” wide x 13 ” deep and 12” tall and weighs 31 lbs. Made from Bloodwood, Cherry, Maple, Ebony, Jatoba and Walnut and finished with 5 coats of wipe-on satin poly. All of the slots for the knives were done with a scrollsaw using a #5 skip tooth blade in 3/4" stock. Fun project!!!

Marwanknifeblock015.jpg

Marwanknifeblock013.jpg

Marwanknifeblock011.jpg

Marwanknifeblock019.jpg

• Like 1

realy nice couple of questions how do you make the ebony piece that is a large wedge shape? also how do you cut your slots been thinking of doing a knife holder/ choping block but havent done any serous research on it since it is just idea stage. also how much is vineer and how much is solid wood?

Thanks for the comments everyone

To Brian-- I did this block for $750

To Duckkisser-- The ebony wedge is actually 3 pieces each 3/4" thick. The slots are all cut with a scroll saw in 3/4" stock. All of the outside pieces are 3/4" stock with rabbets for strength and to add plenty of glue area. The interior of the block is done with cherry using a router to plow out for the knife slots. No veneers at all. Total of 62 pieces of wood went into making the block.

Thanks for the comments everyone

To Brian-- I did this block for $750

To Duckkisser-- The ebony wedge is actually 3 pieces each 3/4" thick. The slots are all cut with a scroll saw in 3/4" stock. All of the outside pieces are 3/4" stock with rabbets for strength and to add plenty of glue area. The interior of the block is done with cherry using a router to plow out for the knife slots. No veneers at all. Total of 62 pieces of wood went into making the block.

damn....................um ya thats it.

To Pbmaster11

The large slot on the bottom is for a sharpening stone and the three holes are for spice bottles.

I do have to give credit to the client for such a unique design and giving plenty of details concerning the knife layout and dimensions that I used although when I did the scale drawing it would have been almost 20" wide using his measurements. Had to scale it down just a little.

WOW....

On a side note, it must be very satisfying to work with someone who:

a) knows what they want

B) wants it done well

c) knows it won't be cheap

I don't do woodworking for money, but in my 'day job', I run into customers like above more rarely than I would like :)