first end grain board

sgregory

Thanks for the kind words all. Funniest part is I just decided to do this with the scraps left over from my other project! I watched Marc's vid on my phone while I was waiting for a glue up and looked around the garage and said "hot damn, I have enough scraps for a couple of those!" It did turn out very unique...and Nick...you are dead on! Already having family / friends ask me to make them one! Wish I hadnt used that Brazillian cherry though...that stuff burns with even 1000 grit!

question though, whats the best round over bit to use to avoid the minor tear out I was getting? It all sanded out easy enough but it was annoying to say the least! I used a brand new Vermont American 1/4 roundover bit for this one.

No expert here but I think the trouble lies in the fact that the nature of an endgrain cutting board requires all your routing to be done cross grain instead of with the grain. Cross grain cutting weather with a router bit, saw, plane or anything else always causes tear out. The best way to control is is use very sharp tools and I would recommend clamping a sacrificial piece to the end of the cut. That way the sacrificial piece supports the fibers of the workpiece so the worst of the tearout happens to the sacrificial piece. Using premium bits may help some but I cant testify to that since for the most part I'm too cheap to buy them YET.