POLL - Would you pay for hands-on woodworking instruction?

Would you pay for in-person woodworkign instruction?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Would or have you paid for hands-on woodworking instruction?

2. 2. Would or have you paid for other instruction (Golf, Tennis, Music, Art...), not required by law (Flying, Shooting, Boating...)?

Just wondering... I'll leave this open for a week.

Question one refers to in-person, hands-on, two-way communicating skill training. Not online training, DVD's, etc...

Question two refers to activities where laws don't force you to have training. For example, you often can't get permits or licenses to drive, boat, fly, own guns, scuba dive, etc... unless you participate in some sort of training. I'm referring to activities where training is optional, for example, golf, tennis, skiing, music, art, sewing...

Thanks!

Does a guild membership count for #1?

If you get actual training at a local guild, as in trying the lesson in front of the presenter for a yes / no / "try this" response, and you pay for it, I'd say yes...

By hands-on training, I'm thinking along the lines of physically working wood, with immediate feedback from an instructor, and/or other students.

Chip... Yes. If you could, you would... :rolleyes: Some folks would if were closer to the school, they had more free cash or time, a different work schedule, actually had a workable option to take a class...

Some folks just aren't into "school", and prefer to try teach themselves. These are folks that "would not" and "have not"...

I took a few woodworking classes in Santa Fe when we lived in Albuquerque as well as some guild-type sessions and Woodcraft classes. I'm looking at taking a few classes at our local Woodcraft here in Denver in January as well.

In my younger days I had attended extra training camps for soccer and baseball. Nowadays, I'd like to take in some hands on training in metalwork, sculpture and maybe even painting.

For most of my life I felt that the best way to learn was simply by going in the shop and getting my hands dirty figuring things out and that I was already a good woodworker and didn't need instruction.....but man was I wrong! I have taken several classes and am always amazed at how much I learn. Taking classes in not submitting that you are not good enough, it is trying to constantly improve yourself.