New Work Table/Bench help.

eball

Hey guys,

I am new to woodworking and I am getting ready to build a work table/bench with storage. I have a very limited amount of space, time and money (usual, right!?) I have included a pic of what my over all set up goal is, a pic of the table/bench I am currently working on, and a sketchup of the same table/bench.

The table/bench was originally going to be just 3/4 ply for sides, but then i decided to beef it up a bit with 4x posts and add a spot for a vise.

The grey drawer looking thing is a metal sectional toolbox I am installing there. Also, the left side will have drawers that take up half the depth. All i have added in sketchup is the fronts so far.

I was toying with having two vises which is why you see the benchdog holes on both sides of the top. Will probably just have the one.

My main question is how to secure the top to the frame? I have a few ideas but wanted some input. The top is made of 3 layers of 3/4 MDF and a hardboard top. For the benchdog holes, I was going to replace that section of the top layer of MDF with an insert of hardwood (maple or something) , and drill the holes through all layers.

Also, feel free to add any other critiques or suggestions. Just keep in mind I have limited money and do not have a jointer or planer for milling.

Thanks.

Eric

post-4669-0-90260400-1325322966_thumb.jp

post-4669-0-73125400-1325323031_thumb.jp

TableBench.skp

One way would be to add some cleats to the uprights and then attach the top to them, either with screws from below (not my first choice), or with countersunk bolts from the top. If you didn't want the bolt heads to show, you could put them through the MDF layers only, before you added the hardboard skin.

post-685-0-59436300-1325347643_thumb.gif

Two other thoughts:

1. Think about extending the top a few inches beyond the base on either end, and maybe in the front. That will make it easier to clamp things to the edge of the benchtop.

2. From your SketchUp model, it looks like the grid you added to the bottom is made of pieces only 1-1/16" wide. I'm assuming the purpose of the grid is just to stiffen up the bottom panel. If that's the case, why not use some beefier material for the grid components?

Other than that, looks good to me.

-- Russ

PS: What are the L-shaped gizmos the outside corners of the legs?

One thought for having two vises and expanding what you can do in such a tight space, would be to install a wagon style tail vise. You not use very much space and would have the two vises you want. Additionally, you'd have both x and y axis for work holding as it doesn't appear as though you have much clamping ability right now. Good luck.....

Given your tight space, I think another face vice will get in the way when trying to do any handplane work. Looks like a tail vice will get in the way of your tablesaw parking spot. You could make good use of some doghole mounted clamping devices to deal with clamping challenges as they arise.

I would go with Mac's suggestion of countersunk bolts. On one of my benches, I have plugged those bolt holes with heavy rubber plugs which sit almost flush with the top. I can easily dig them out when I need to get at the bolts. You could also use dry fitted softwood plugs that you can bust out if need be.

If you can lay your hands on a copy of Jim Tolpin's Workbench Book, there is a bench by a guy named Don Mackinley. He has some excellent, simple and versatile and effective shop made clamping jigs.

Yes, the bottom grid is for stiffening the bottom. I just dropped it there for reference and did not pay attention to its dimensions yet. I will definately use beefier components.

The

L-shaped gizmos the outside corners of the legs
are just a design feature I was playing around with.

Thanks for the input.