Surface preparation for face glue-up

whattodo

Hi All,

First time poster.

I am face gluing Honduran Mahogany (1x8x) and I can not fine information anywhere on surface preparation. The glue I am using is Pro-Glue which is similar to Unibond 800 but it has less formaldehyde. This will be for exterior use.

What is the best surface for gluing mahogany face to face? Should I just run it through a thickness planer and glue or should it be roughed up a bit by using something like 120 grit after planning? Should I clean the surface with mineral spirits first to raise the grain before planning or does this matter?

Thanks

John

A light sanding could help eliminate any minor chatter that the planer may leave behind but Don is right about the open grain not needing much prep. I would dust off with a water dampened cloth or alcohol myself before applying adhesive. You'll need large clamp pads to help spread the pressure over that wide a surface. A notched trowel will help prevent you from applying too mush adhesive.