Super Warpage

pith

Hello all,

Firstly ***Happy New Year*** to one and all.

This is my first time on writing something for the wonderful site, so excuse me for any mess up's...please and thank you.

Here goes.... my buddy 'Tool man Tim' and i went to our local wood mill "Century Mill Lumber" near Stouffville, Ontario.

We were looking for a wood that would look great as a table for Tim condo in Kelowna, we were looking around then after a while we found these hugh slab's of Babinga, cleaned 7 years of dust of it, and poored a little water onto it, Wooow what a wonderful figure it had, he was blown away and bought a slab and half of it..........the figure was so nice he didn't want to cut into small lenght's and joint it his self, so he asked the mill to joint it for him, it is amazing.

After much debating he made a lip underneath, cleaned it all up and transported it to Kelowna from Newmarket, Ontario, all was well at this stage, he decided not to finish it here and would wait till now to finish it out there, the condo manager stopped in to check the condo before xmas,before they flew out there for the holidays, and sent him the picture featured, at the time it was on end, some where in the BRAND new condo, where i think there's still a lot of moisture around and not forgetting there's underfloor heating too which was on.

Yes yikkies as you can see what has happened in the picture, it's approximatly 6 feet long and 3-4 feet wide and weigh's you can guess...pretty heavy.

Well my advice at this stage was to lay it on none heated flooring allowing to return to its former flat self, on top of poly not allowing moisture from under but allowing air all around, with stick runners lightly weighted for a length of time and seek further advice.

Now my question to one and all is; what what should we/he do from now on, and if and when it return's flat, what should we/he do to keep it that way?

Any helpful advice would greatfully apprieciated.

Regards

Pith.

post-2450-0-60107200-1325553394_thumb.jp

If it makes your friend feel any better, my bet is that if this board warped this much just from humidity and temperature changes, it was going to do this after it was made into a table, too.

One possibility is to rip the board down into narrower strips, mill them, and reglue them together back into one slab. But I still think this is a piece of wood that will give you trouble with movement no matter what.