Entertainment center design help

a_10lodr

I am trying to design an entertainment center for my wife. The basic design is a 60"W x 18D x 22 1/2"H with the center section divided in to a top and bottom section. The top section will have open shelves for electronics and the bottom section will be drawers for CD/DVD storage and the misc. stuff that goes in there. I know without a picture this may a little bit more difficult, however I am pretty sure you all can probably picture in your head what I am talking about...the center section will be divided horizontally by an ~3/4" board and vertically by an ~3/4" dividers. My question to you all is, what is the best (read strongest and most visually appealing) way to mount the vertical dividers in the case. I have thought about egg crate design with the vertical dividers sliding into the horizontal shelf or vice-versa and, I have thought about cutting shallow dados in the shelf and running the dividers that way. My worry with the egg crate is the sides will be seen and make the design seem slipshod...the worry with the latter is the vertical dividers will be supporting the top which is set up for a flat screen tv..so not too heavy, but I don't want the top to sag either and I want to make sure there is enough material between top divider dado and the bottom divider dado. Any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Larry

I'd forget the egg crate. I would build the basic box with the vertical dividers dadoed into the top and bottom and the horizontal shelf (made in 3 pieces) dadoed into the vertical dividers. I'd limit the dado depth to about 3/16" which will leave sufficient material in the dividers where there are opposing dados to support to top.

I would also make sure there was some support for the center of the cabinet, either an extra leg or a toe kick base to keep it from sagging under the weight of the electronics.