Need help w/ bassinet

Nick2cd

In approximately 12 weeks im going to be a first time dad! i am as excited as i am nervous, but that is a completely different post. anyways, my wife asked me to build a bassinet. i figure this is the perfect project on which to give my new Festool Domino a workout. i am a bit unsure of how to join a few parts with dominos. i have attached a 2D image of the areas of concern. the red lines would represent dominos. would like to get 2 dominos in each cross beam but if i simply stack them at ideal positions, they will collide with one another. i have also attached the actual sketcup model as well so you can pan around to see what im talking about. my only idea is to stack the dominos in an alternating pattern but i wanted to see if there is something simple im missing. i don't really want to make the front legs from thicker stock if i can avoid it.

bassinet2.skp

post-2455-0-04222900-1325718566_thumb.jp

post-2455-0-04222900-1325718566_thumb.jp

bassinet2.skp

bassinet2.skp

I would think that if you assemble it in stages you should be fine. Just wait to cut for the dominos that you aren't gluing up yet and after it dries it should be like cutting into solid wood.

i understand this idea in theory, but don't think it will weaken the domino to cut into it?

Another thing to consider is the vertical slat right above the red lines, those dominoes are gonna fall right on top of the other ones aren't they? But like dennisl said, you can wait for one domino to dry and the cut into it after it dries to apply the following domino. As long as it doesn't compromise the amount of long grain to long grain in the joint, I don't really see a problem with that route at all. As for what dwacker said, I don't think they make a domino big and small enough for one to intersect the other the way you would send a smaller tenon through an oversized one. If the bassinet rails were wide enough you could certainly stagger the dominos.

Another thing to consider is the vertical slat right above the red lines, those dominoes are gonna fall right on top of the other ones aren't they? But like dennisl said, you can wait for one domino to dry and the cut into it after it dries to apply the following domino. As long as it doesn't compromise the amount of long grain to long grain in the joint, I don't really see a problem with that route at all. As for what dwacker said, I don't think they make a domino big and small enough for one to intersect the other the way you would send a smaller tenon through an oversized one. If the bassinet rails were wide enough you could certainly stagger the dominos.

the vertical slat shouldn't be much of problem. the view you are seeing does not show the gap that will be there. the vertical slat is approximately 1" away from the corner of the frame. furthermore, i may space the slats a bit differently than what i have in the drawing. i put the first one in and had sketchup add the rest. the last vertical slat isn't evenly spaced off the right edge because of this. i really just wanted those in there so i could have a visual of what they would look like.

btw Freddie, didn't you just finish a similar build? yours came out beautifully! i wish i had more time and could do something like that. it's going to be a bit of a stretch to get this finished in time with work and life getting in the way.

Trust me it was really hard trying to get done in time haha, but they loved it so it was all worth it in the end after all the stress and whatnot. And thank you very much for the compliment , your build will come out beautiful, I especially like the design of the 2 wider front legs with the curves. Keep us updated and post pictures of it!