Lumber rack Project(on the extremely heavy duty side)

Lucky1406

So I decided to build me a lumber rack. But I wanted to try my hand at welding, so here it is. This was actually my second welding project. Not exactly wood working, but it does hold wood. Not finished yet, but you get the picture. I highlighted the rack in the photo to give you a better view of it(It was hard to see)

It is built out of 2"x4"x 3/16" Steel tubing. It was what I had gotten from my dads shop for $.10 a pound. This thing will truly last forever. The box in the front will be holding small wood scraps, and such. I still have to box it in with plywood. On the back side, I'll probably be making some pipes come out at 90 degrees to help hold more wood.(like the rack above Marks lumber rack.

My rack is on wheels, so it's easy to move around. Right now it weighs around 550lbs.

It should be able to hold 14 sheets of plywood, and lots of extra wood pieces. I'm trying to get my shop under control with all the extra wood around.

Is there anything you would add to this project if it was yours? Anything you would have done differently?

Thanks for any help,

Nick

post-3952-0-77312300-1325736071_thumb.jp

I honestly never thought I would ever write this on a WW'ing forum.....but.....

Nice rack!

I think I would add some wood strips on the bottom where the sheet goods would be resting, and maybe a handle on one of the taller uprights, for ease of gripping when moving.